The Best Dog Anxiety & Calming Vests in 2021
Does your dog get nervous or anxious when they are left home alone, during a thunderstorm, or due to some other stimulus? Anxious dogs may act differently from one another. Some may show their anxiety by barking or acting aggressively, while other may tremble or hide.
An anxiety or calming vest applies pressure to different areas of your dog’s body to help calm them down. There are lots of different options when you are looking for a product to help your dog. Read through our reviews below of the top six options to help you select the option that will best help your dog.
Our Top List
Last update on 2021-07-14 at 06:43 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Surgi Snuggly Dog Vest
If your dog is experiencing anxiety after having surgery, the Surgi Snuggly Dog Cone is a great product to consider. This snug fitting design will help keep your dog calm and provide some relief to the anxiety they’ve been facing after going through surgery.
In addition to providing a calming effect for your dog after their surgery, there are numerous other benefits you’ll enjoy with this product. It is designed to keep your pet’s body and surgical site protected to allow it to heal properly. The fabric is antimicrobial, so it will help keep bacteria and other germs away from your dog’s incision to make sure it doesn’t get infected.
This product also features an innovative design. Its base extends to cover a diaper and keep it on your dog if they require diapers after their surgery. If your dog doesn’t need diapers, the end can be tucked inside the back pocket to allow your dog to be free to take care of his business.
- The product can help reduce your dog’s post-surgery anxiety.
- This option can also help ensure your pet’s surgical incisions heal properly without getting infected.
- The fabric is antimicrobial to keep germs and bacteria away from their incisions.
- It can help keep a doggy diaper in place.
- There are six different color options available.
- This option is available in a wide range of sizes to fit dogs of various sizes.
- If your dog has undergone surgery, this product can help make sure they don’t get an infection at their incision site.
- There are six color options to help you find the right look for your pup.
- The snug feel can help calm your dog if they’re experiencing any anxiety after their surgery.
- If your dog needs to wear a diaper after surgery, this option will help keep it securely in place.
- Depending on your dog’s body, it may be difficult to find a perfect fit.
2. Comfort Anxiety Relief Coat
No products found.
The Comfort Dog Anxiety Relief Coat is designed to help relieve your dog’s anxiety caused by stressors such as thunderstorms, travel, fireworks, separation, or visits to the veterinarian. The coat is designed to hug the dog tightly and provide a massage-like feel on their back. The massage feeling is designed to feel the same way your hands would to help calm your dog down.
This product is made from a comfortable and lightweight fabric. It is designed to be breathable to make sure your dog doesn’t get too hot when he’s wearing it. When needed, you can clean it in your washing machine or by hand.
This option features an adjustable design to help ensure the right fit and the correct amount of pressure for your dog. The chest strap can be tightened or loosened to accommodate your dog’s specific needs.
There are six different size options to help you ensure the right fit for your dog. The coat can be purchased in three different colors: rose gray, blue gray, or navy rose. Each color choice also has a reflective strip on the bag to make your dog more visible when it is dark outside.
- This choice provides pressure that feels like a massage for your dog.
- It is made from a lightweight and breathable fabric.
- You can adjust the chest strap to ensure the right fit.
- There are six size options and three color options to choose from.
- The reflective strip helps to make your dog more visible at night.
- When your dog gets anxious, the pressure will feel like you are there to calm them.
- There is a reflective strip that helps make your dog more easier to see if you walk them at night.
- This option is breathable to prevent your dog from getting overheated.
- Depending on your dog’s build, you may have some trouble finding an appropriately-sized option.
3. Hachikitty Dog Thunder Vest for Comfort
No products found.
The Hachikitty Dog Thunder Vest wraps tightly around your dog to reduce their anxiety in a stressful situation. When your dog is wearing this product, he will feel a gentle pressure that will help keep him calmer. This is a good option to consider if your dog seems more nervous or anxious around loud noises, traveling in the car, or being left home along.
The manufacturers took care when selecting the materials to use to make this product. They chose lightweight and breathable options to ensure your dog stays cool and comfortable. However, the vest is also designed to be durable and hold up well to being worn for extended periods of time.
When needed, you can wash your dog’s vest in your washing machine. This product is available in four different sizes. You can purchase it in navy, gray, or rose red.
- Your dog will receive a constant gentle pressure around his torso when wearing this option.
- The material used to make this product is durable, lightweight, and breathable.
- It can be washed in the washing machine when it gets dirty.
- There are three different color options available.
- This product is available in four different sizes.
- This option can help calm your dog if they are afraid of loud noises, being left alone, or other external factors.
- If your dog gets their vest dirty, you’ll be able to easily wash it in the washing machine.
- There are three color options available, so you’ll be able to choose the best look for your dog.
- There are only four size options, so it may be a bit more challenging to find the perfect fit for your dog.
4. Thundershirt Classic Dog Anxiety Jacket
Another great option to consider is the Thundershirt Classic Anxiety Jacket. This is a heather gray jacket that is designed to fit snugly around your dog’s body. It is made using a breathable, yet durable material to keep your dog comfortable as he wears it. When needed, it is safe to wash this product to wash in your washing machine.
This choice is designed to provide a constant pressure to your dog’s body. This gentle pressure will help ease your dog’s fears and keep them calmer than they would be without it.
There are seven different size options designed for dogs of all sizes. You’ll be able to find the right size for your dog whether they weight 9 or 99 pounds.
- The jacket is durable and breathable.
- It can be cleaned in your washing machine when it gets dirty.
- When your dog wears this, he will receive constant and gentle pressure to help provide relief of his anxiety.
- There are seven different size options available
- This jacket is heather gray.
- There are seven sizes available, so it is more likely you’ll be able to find the right fit for your dog.
- The jacket is designed to provide a constant and calming gentle pressure to your dog.
- If it gets dirty, this option can be washed in the washing machine.
- There is only one color choice.
5. ThunderShirt Polo Jacket
The ThunderShirt Polo Anxiety Jacket can provide your dog with some much-needed relief from their anxiety. This product attaches around your dog’s neck and over their belly and provides a constant and gentle pressure. The pressure can help if your dog is anxious or fearful of situations such as being left along, hearing loud noises, or riding in the car.
This option can be purchased in seven different size options. You will need to know your dog’s weight and their chest circumference to help ensure you achieve the right fit with the size you select. There are options available for dogs weighing under seven pounds, as well as dogs weighing over 110 pounds.
There are four different stylish color options for you to choose from. They are camo/orange, dark blue/light blue, pink/gray, and red/gray.
- This product is designed to provide constant pressure to relieve your dog’s anxiety.
- It is available in seven different sizes.
- You can wash this option in your washing machine.
- There are four attractive color combinations to choose from.
- The manufacturer offers a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with your purchase.
- The four different color combinations will help your dog look stylish and attractive.
- This product is designed to provide a gentle pressure to help keep your dog’s anxiety down.
- If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can request a refund.
- Depending on your dog’s build, the sizing chart may not help you find the correct fit.
6. X@HE Comfort Compression Vest
No products found.
Your pet will feel as if they are getting a hug from you when they wear the X@HE Anxiety Relief Coat. This product is designed to be comfortable and breathable when your dog wears it. It is made using a durable fiber made from a combination of viscose fiber, polyester, and spandex.
You’ll be able to adjust the fit of the jacket using the Velcro straps that go around your dog’s neck and chest. There are five different size options available to help you find the right fit for your dog. You can purchase this coat in camo, gray, navy blue, or rose red.
Your purchase will be protected by the 100% satisfaction guarantee that this product comes with. They will either replace your purchase or refund your money if you are not satisfied.
- This choice will feel like your dog is getting a hug from you.
- It is made using comfortable and breathable materials.
- The Velcro straps allow you to adjust the fit of the jacket.
- There are five different size options available.
- You can choose from four different colors/patterns to find the right look for your pup.
- The manufacturer offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- You can adjust the fit using the Velcro straps.
- It is designed to be breathable to keep your dog comfy when they wear it.
- If you are not happy with your purchase, you can request a refund.
- Some users of this product have noted that the different sizes run a bit big.
Verdict & Review
Surgi Snuggly Dog Vest for Anxiety Relief
We think that all six of the products we reviewed above are excellent products that should help provide some relief for your nervous pup. However, the Surgi Snuggly Dog Cone is our favorite option.
This is an outstanding option to consider if your dog has recently undergone surgery and is having some anxiety after their surgery. It is designed to fit snuggly, so it can help keep your dog calmer.
You’ll find a variety of other benefits associated with this product as well. Your dog’s incision site will be covered and protected against getting infected or chewed at by your dog. The fabric is antimicrobial, so it prevents germs and bacteria from getting into your dog’s incision.
If your dog happens to need diapers after their surgery, the end of the product can be extended to cover the diaper and help ensure they stay on your dog. If your dog doesn’t need diapers, you’ll be able to tuck the edge of the fabric in the pocket to make sure your dog can use the bathroom as needed.
With 14 size options and six different color choices, you’re sure to be able to find an option that will be just right for your dog.
If your dog seems to suffer from anxiety caused by being left alone, loud sounds, traveling, or rain and thunder, it may be time to get them an anxiety vest. This product can help them feel calmer by placing pressure on their body to provide them with the same feelings they get when they’re being hugged or comforted by you. Since there are so many different options on the market and each model is different, we have developed the buying guide below to help you determine what features you are looking for in the product you ultimately purchase.
You’ll first need to decide which type of product will deliver the most benefits for your dog. There are various types and design options to consider, so pick the type that you think best matches your dog’s need for having the vest.
One option for you to consider is a swaddle vest. The idea behind a swaddle vest is similar to why newborn babies are swaddled; they can help your dog feel more cuddled, which can help keep them calmer. This option typically includes a strap that will allow you to control the fit to help it fit more snuggly around your dog when needed.
Another option to consider is a compression vest. This type of product is designed to be pretty tight on your dog to provide pressure in the right areas to reduce the stress they are experiencing. However, this option may be a bit more challenging to get on your dog because of the snug fit it is designed to create.
There are also weighted vests that are designed to help decrease your dog’s anxiety. As with a weighted blanket that many people use, this product type can help your dog feel safer and more secure. If you decide to go with this option, make sure that you don’t make it too heavy that it becomes challenging for your dog to be able to move.
A final product type to consider is a surgical anxiety vest. This type of vest is designed to help dogs who are acting nervous or anxious after having had surgery. In addition to providing some calming pressure to reduce your dog’s anxiety, this option can also safely cover your dog’s incision to prevent them from scratching or chewing at it.
Choosing the right size vest is very important when you are looking to reduce your dog’s anxiety. Most products are effective because of the snug fit and pressure they provide for your dog, so if you select an option that is too large, it will not be as effective. Before you make a purchase, be sure to look closely at the sizing guide provided by the manufacturer to make sure you purchase the right size for your dog.
You will also want to consider the materials used to make the different options you are considering. Try to purchase a product made from a durable material that will hold up well to being worn by your dog. Since it will be tight around your dog’s body, be sure to look for something breathable to help ensure that your dog doesn’t get overheated.
Ability to Add Scents
Some dogs may need more to keep them calm than a vest can provide. For this reason, some options include a spray patch that you can use to add calming scents and sprays designed for dogs to the vest. The combination of the scents with the pressure the vest provides can help provide that little ‘extra’ that some dogs need.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!