The Best Dog Beds in 2022
- Our Top List
- 1. PetFusion Ultimate Pet Bed with Orthopedic Memory Foam
- 2. Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Bed for Large Dogs
- 3. Snoozer Cozy Cave Bed in Poly Cotton
- 4. Dogbed4less Jumbo Memory Foam Bed
- 5. BarksBar Gray Bed
- 6. Majestic Pet Products Bed
- Verdict & Review
- PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed with Memory Foam
- Buying Guide
We all want the best for our dogs. And if your dog is anything like mine, he or she spends a lot of time sleeping. The right dog bed supports your dog’s joints, which is especially important for arthritic dogs.
That isn’t the only benefit, though–a good bed prevents calluses and keeps your dog warm. Most of us would rather sleep in a bed than on the floor, and your dog is no different.
When you shop for a dog bed, there are several things to keep in mind. Dog beds come in a range of support options, sizes, shapes, and levels of softness. Here, we’ve brought together our top six picks to keep your dog safe and comfortable.
Our Top List
Last update on 2022-05-19 at 02:56 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. PetFusion Ultimate Pet Bed with Orthopedic Memory Foam
If you want a calming and luxurious bed for your dog, this is a great choice. With a four-inch memory foam base and security-adding bolsters, your dog will feel safe and secure. The cover is water-resistant and difficult to tear. And this choice is good for dogs of any size–it comes in sizes from small to XXL Jumbo.
- It comes in chocolate brown, slate grey, or sandstone–these neutral colors will go with most styles of home decor.
- Four-inch memory foam base offers support that contours to your dog’s body.
- You can easily remove and wash the cover.
- Raised bolsters give any dog a sense of added security.
- Luxurious cushioning
- Easy to clean
- Matches most decor styles
- Doesn’t come in extra small size for very small dogs
2. Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Bed for Large Dogs
If you have a big dog who always seems to want to sleep on your bed, this high-quality dog bed offers a great alternative. Its built-in headrest is shaped like a pillow, and the bed’s American-made therapeutic foam is top quality. The manufacturer even offers a 10-year warranty–if the foam doesn’t retain 90% of its original shape, you’ll get your money back. The soft microfiber color comes in a range of neutral colors that add an elegant touch to your home.
- It’s one of the highest-quality bed options on the list.
- The 10-year warranty guarantees it will retain shape.
- It comes in burgundy, khaki, charcoal grey, or chocolate brown.
- The built-in pillow makes it feel like a real bed.
- Easy to clean
- Durable and high-quality
- Very firm foam won’t flatten
- Comes with a warranty
- Doesn’t come in small or medium sizes
3. Snoozer Cozy Cave Bed in Poly Cotton
If your dog is the type to always want to snuggle under the covers, the Snoozer Cozy Cave offers a unique shape that helps any dog feel more secure. This round bed has a sherpa-lined “cave” that your pet can curl up under. It also comes in more colors than most dog beds–while each option has cream-colored sherpa, the cover comes in khaki, medium blue, navy, olive, or red.
- It comes in sizes to fit almost any dog, from small to extra large.
- The cover can be removed for easy washing and drying.
- The heavy-duty brass zipper is unlikely to break or jam.
- The cave-like cover is ideal for dogs who like to feel extra secure.
- Soft sherpa lining
- Easy to clean
- Cave feature is unique
- Poly/cedar filling isn’t as supportive as foam
4. Dogbed4less Jumbo Memory Foam Bed
While some dogs would rather climb onto a sturdy bed, others prefer curling up on a soft pillow. This pillow-style bed offers plenty of softness, but it also isn’t lacking in support. In a unique twist, this bed is stuffed with orthopedic foam, but the foam is shredded. The shredded-foam stuffing is 10″ thick, which can support a dog up to 140 pounds.
- The shredded memory foam improves air circulation for a cool sleeping surface.
- This pillow-style bed offers extra cushioning for maximum comfort.
- It comes in olive green, grey, espresso, khaki, and brown.
- The cover can easily be removed and washed.
- Unique shape and softness
- Comes in many colors
- Very supportive
- Cover resists stains and wear
- Only comes in sizes for large and extra-large dogs
- Stuffing isn’t pure shredded foam–it also contains poly-fill
5. BarksBar Gray Bed
This bed is somewhat similar in design to the first product on the list–it has orthopedic foam cushioning and a padded, pillow-like rim. However, this one only has 3.5 inches of orthopedic foam, and its cover is a little different–it comes in a quilted, two-tone grey finish. The non-slip bottom keeps your dog feeling secure, even on wood or tile flooring.
- This bed has solid orthopedic foam for great support
- The rim is cotton-stuffed for extra pillow-like comfort.
- The removable cover is easy to wash.
- Its neutral color blends in with most decor types.
- Solid foam for great support
- Cover is very soft
- Easy to clean
- Only comes in medium and large sizes
6. Majestic Pet Products Bed
This bed’s name accurately describes it–like a bagel, it’s surrounded by a stuffed, cushioned rim. It’s made in the United States out of premium materials, and you don’t even need to remove the cover to wash it, as the entire bed is machine washable. While the bagel-style headrest helps dogs keep their spines straight, the stuffing is poly-fill, which isn’t as supportive as solid foam.
- Its unique bagel shape supports your dog’s head and neck.
- The entire bed is machine washable for maximum convenience.
- The waterproof base helps contain any spills or accidents.
- Comes in several colors
- Is easy to wash
- Offers spinal support
- Poly-fill is less supportive than solid foam
After reviewing the top six options we could find, we narrowed it down to our number one pick. We choose the PetFusion Ultimate dog bed, which is first on this list.
The reasons why are simple–it offers superior cushioning with four inches of memory foam, the added bolsters surround your dog like a warm hug, and it comes in a size to suit almost any dog.
Of course, depending on your needs, you might find that another bed on the list is more suited to your dog. To help you make the right choice, we’ve included a buying guide below to help you evaluate available beds and choose the right one for your dog.
You know your dog better than anyone. And knowing your dog means you’ll be able to choose the type of dog bed that best fits his or her sleeping habits. Here are some things to consider when buying.
Choosing a Shape and Style
Depending on your dog’s sleeping style, they might prefer a certain bed type:
- Cave or nest beds–These beds are great for dogs who like to burrow under covers.
- Donut or bagel beds–These are a good choice for dogs who like to curl up while asleep.
- Rectangular beds with bolsters–This bed style is ideal if your dog likes having something to lean on while sleeping.
- Pillow-style beds–If your dog prefers just being able to sink into something soft, these beds are worth considering.
- Flat rectangular beds–For dogs who prefer to sprawl out while asleep, this bed choice is the perfect fit.
Choosing a Support Level
The supportiveness of a dog bed is also a major factor in choosing the right bed. If your dog has arthritis or other joint issues, look for the highest-quality orthopedic foam you can find. As you read listings, check on the thickness of the foam. Generally, the bigger your dog is, the thicker you want the foam base to be. Beds with warranties specifically covering their orthopedic foam are a good choice, since it’s in the manufacturer’s best financial interest to use foam that lasts.
You probably will also see some beds that use shredded memory foam or orthopedic foam. These beds are usually less expensive than those with solid foam. They do offer some support, but it’s less than a bed with solid foam. That isn’t to say you need to avoid these beds altogether, though–if your dog doesn’t have significant bone or joint issues and seems to prefer soft beds, shredded foam can be a comfortable choice.
Poly-fill beds are generally the least expensive. This filling doesn’t offer a whole lot in the way of support. But for a small dog or a dog who doesn’t need orthopedic support, a poly-fill bed can be an economical choice.
Every dog bed will need to be cleaned at some point, so it’s wise to check into how easy it will be to clean a particular bed before buying. Most dog beds have an easy to remove cover that can be machine washed. It’s generally best to avoid beds without a removable cover (unless the entire bed can be washed).
It’s also important to check the stain resistance of the cover. Most higher-end beds will be made with something that resists both stains and tearing. Especially if your dog has sharp nails or moves a lot while sleeping, a tear-resistant fabric is a plus. Stain-resistant covers will be easier to spot clean, which can also reduce time between full washes.
Choosing the Right Size
Especially when buying online, it can be tough to find the right size dog bed. Some manufacturers post size charts based on dog breeds to make this easier. But if your dog is a mix or you want to be doubly careful you get the right size, there’s a measurement trick you can use.
While your dog is asleep, measure from the nose to the base of the tail. Add eight to 12 inches to this, and you’ll get the approximate length or diameter of bed you should choose.
Since dogs can spend around 14 hours per day asleep, a comfortable dog bed is important for health and general well being. By taking into account your dog’s needs, you can choose a bed that your dog will love for years to come.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!