The Best Dog Bike Trailers in 2020
- Our Top List
- 1. Schwinn Rascal Tow-Behind Bike Pet Trailer
- 2. PetSafe Solvit Pet Bicycle Trailer
- 3. Aosom Elite Bike Trailer
- 4. InStep Single Seat & Double Seat Foldable Tow
- 5. Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Stroller & Trailer
- 6. Aosom Elite-Jr 2-in-1 Trailer
- Verdict & Review
- Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer
- Buying Guide
Whether you want to use your bike to take your dog to the park or provide a new way to let your pet see the outdoors, a bike trailer is a great investment! We love using these things, so naturally we’re reviewing them all!
The size of your dog, the safety features you want, and even the way a bike trailer attaches to your bike can all impact your decision. In order to help you choose, we’ve assembled a list of our top six choices this year.
Our Top List
Last update on 2020-07-12 at 06:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Schwinn Rascal Tow-Behind Bike Pet Trailer
This eye-catching trailer has plenty of features that will keep you and your pet safe. The trailer itself comes in bright orange, blue, or yellow, making it easy for other people to see you. It also features a large, tall safety flag for added visibility. This trailer will hold most sizes of dogs, and an internal safety leash works to keep pets up to 50 pounds from jumping out. And if you’re short on space, this trailer is a great choice–it can be folded for storage when not in use.
- Air-filled tires give your pet a cushioned ride
- Bright orange, blue, or yellow color and safety flag support increased visibility
- Steel frame is durable and protects your pet.
- Internal leash helps stop your dog from jumping out while the trailer is in motion
- Rear door makes it easy to load and unload your pet
2. PetSafe Solvit Pet Bicycle Trailer
This trailer comes in two size options – medium is suitable for dogs up to 50 pounds, while the large option is suitable for larger dogs. The frame is made of aluminum, and since aluminum is lighter than steel, it’s easier to pull this trailer over long distances. This trailer also has several reflectors on both the cabin and the air-filled wheels, so your pet will be visible to drivers even in the dark. And like many dog bike trailers, this one also has an attached leash to stop your dog from jumping out.
- Air-filled wheels give a cushioned ride and are easy to maintain
- Aluminum frame is lighter than steel and easier to to while riding a bike
- Bright blue cabin is made of durable polyester for a long life
- Reflectors are included on the cabin and wheels for maximum visibility
3. Aosom Elite Bike Trailer
This bike trailer has a unique feature–it can be used as a bike trailer or as a pet-friendly jogging stroller. You can attach it to your bike via the simple to use type A hitch, or you can push the trailer in front of you while going for a jog. This trailer also has a more secure way to keep your dog inside. Instead of just a security leash, this trailer has a five-point safety harness to keep your pet in place. It’s suitable for pets up to 44 pounds, and it also includes a storage compartment for bringing pet supplies along with you.
- Front has a mesh window with removable plastic screen in case of bad weather
- Cabin is equipped with reflectors for maximum visibility
- Includes optional safety flag to enhance visibility on busy roads
- Five-point safety harness and sling seat keep your pet securely in place
- Versatile hitch can also be used as a push handle
4. InStep Single Seat & Double Seat Foldable Tow
If your dog is up to 40 pounds, this unique, teardrop-shaped bike trailer is an excellent choice. Though it’s advertised as a bike trailer for children, this aerodynamic trailer is also suitable for taking your dog along on a bike ride. It has a five-point safety harness and an easy-connect hitch to make attaching ot to your bike uncomplicated. And if you want tobring more than one pet with you, good news–you can purchase this trailer in single-seat or double-seat options.
- Comes in single or double-seater options
- You can choose from blue, green, red, and light blue color options
- Stylish, durable air-filled wheels offer a smooth ride and an eye-catching, unique design
- Trailer can be folded up for easy storage after use
5. Best Choice Products 2-in-1 Stroller & Trailer
If you want a multipurpose option for transporting your pet, this is a great option. While it can be used as a dog bike trailer, the hitch can be removed. Since the trailer has a push handle on the back, it also can be used as a pet stroller. This trailer also has a built-in braking system, which is very useful when you want to keep it in place, and the sturdy steel frame is secure and durable while still being relatively lightweight. And with wide mesh windows, your pet can look around and enjoy the outdoors. And with a weight limit of 66 pounds, this trailer can pull larger dogs than many options on this list.
- Included safety flag and built-in hand brake keep your pet visible and secure
- Wide mesh windows with removable weather shields give your pet plenty of fresh air on the ride
- Polyester cabin is weather-resistant and durable for lasting quality
- Plenty of reflectors keep the trailer visible, even at night
6. Aosom Elite-Jr 2-in-1 Trailer
This trailer is another multipurpose option. It has a removable hitch for use as a trailer, and it also can be pushed as a stroller. Its wheels are advertised as being off-road capable, so you can even pull your pet on a mountain bike or push them along on trails. A front swivel wheel adds extra stability and gives you more precise turning abilities. A tall orange flag and reflectors give you more visibility, and the cabin has a D-ring for easy attachment of your dog’s leash.
- Maximum load weight of 55 pounds is suitable for small and medium dogs
- Mesh windows with clear weather shields let your pet enjoy the outdoors, rain or shine
- The bright red cabin, orange safety flag, and reflectors keep your pet visible
- This easy to disassemble trailer is ideal for those who don’t have a lot of storage space
Verdict & Review
Schwinn Rascal Pet Trailer
While you can’t go wrong with any of the choices on this list, our top pick is the Schwinn Rascal, which is the first on the list. This trailer is made by an established, well-respected bike manufacturer, so you can be assured of its quality. It also has one of the widest ranges of color choices–whether you want to coordinate with your bike or go for maximum visibility, this trailer gives you several options. A durable cabin construction and sturdy frame help round out this quality trailer.
Which trailer is right for you will depend on the specific needs of you and your dog. In order to help you make the right choice, we’ve included a buying guide that covers what you’ll need to consider before you make your purchase.
Considering Weight Limits: How Big is Your Dog?
The weight limit of a trailer is one of the most important things to consider. If you overload a trailer, you run the risk of the cabin breaking. Larger dogs also may be able to more easily break out of a trailer. Keep in mind that many bike trailers have a weight limit of around 50 pounds. If your dog is very large or heavy, you may need to look a little harder to find a suitable trailer.
Thinking About Visibility
Dog bike trailers tend to be made with safety in mind. Many of them have brightly-colored cabins, which makes the trailer easier to spot in daylight. However, since some dog owners may want to take their dogs out at dusk, many have built-in reflectors. And if you want extra visibility higher off the ground, you may want to choose a trailer with an attached tall flag. These are the same flags that you have probably seen on children’s bikes.
Security is Important: Keeping Your Dog in the Cabin
If your dog is very small or just prefers to sit still in a trailer, this consideration may not be as important. But if your dog is jumpy, a built-in safety leash or harness is important. Some of these trailers don’t have a built-in leash at all. Others include a safety leash, which clips to your dog’s harness or collar and keeps them in the cabin. And for extra security, some offerings include a five-point safety harness. This harness works to keep your dog secure and centered in the cabin. Because a large, jumpy dog could potentially make it dangerous for you to tow the trailer, a harness like this is an important safety feature.
Considering Wheels: On-Road or Off-Road?
As you’ve seen, most trailers have a set of air-filled wheels. Like bike wheels, air-filled wheels give some cushion to the ride. However, not all of these wheels are alike. Those with wider tires are better suited to taking your dog off-road, and they offer more stability. However, thicker tires are slower-rolling. So if speed is very important, you may want to look for a more streamlined tire. Lastly, some models include reflectors on the wheels, which add an extra layer of visibility to your trailer.
Frame Material and Towing Ability
Much like many bike frames, most bike trailer frames are made of either steel or aluminum. Steel frames tend to be sturdier, but they also are heavier. If you’re looking for something that’s less tiring to tow, you might want to consider an aluminum frame. Aluminum is still durable, but it’s significantly lighter than steel. But because there are many construction styles and grades of aluminum, it’s wise to check the total weight of any bike trailer before you decide to buy.
Trailers With Multiple Functions: Are They Right for You?
If you only want to use a bike trailer as a trailer, a two-in-one option may not be necessary. But if you think you might want to also use a bike trailer as a dog stroller for walking or jogging, look for trailers with multiple functions. Most of these options are very easy to convert from trailer to stroller and back again.
When you take all of your needs and your dog’s needs into account, finding a dog bike trailer that fits them all can take some time. But by carefully evaluating specifications of each model, you can find a bike trailer that will let you and your dog experience exciting outdoor adventures for years to come.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!