The Best Dog Heating Pads & Mats in 2021
- Our Top List
- 1. K&H Original Outdoor Heated Pad
- 2. K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Crate Pad
- 3. Marunda Electric Heating Mat
- 4. Zobire Waterproof Large Dog Heating Mat
- 5. Riogoo Electric Heated Mat
- 6. Warmstore Heated Bed Warmer
- K&H Original Lectro-Kennel Outdoor Heated Pet Pad
- Buying Guide
Just because your best friend sports a fur coat doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t like a heated pad. The floor, especially if it isn’t carpeted, can be cold, and there are drafts. Most dogs have their regular spots for sleeping, but when it gets cooler, they will find warmer spots. Providing your dog with a heated mat allows it to have the flexibility to comfortably stay at its favorite spot.
We love heating elements for our pets, be it heated beds or mats, so we try a lot of them each year. On this page, we have assembled the top mats on the market in 2021, so let’s go and check them out!
Our Top List
Last update on 2021-07-12 at 23:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. K&H Original Outdoor Heated Pad
Our favorite, the K&H pad is thermostatically-controlled and monitors temperature changes to maintain and not exceed your pet’s normal body temperature. The pad is designed so your dog can lay on it or lay against it if it is mounted on the wall.
Made of ABS plastic, the mat is durable, safe for your pet, and can be wiped clean. The fleece cover can be removed and machine washed. With a 5.5-foot steel wrapped cord, it can be used in outdoor buildings.
The mat is available in small (12.5” x 18.5”), medium (16.5” x 22.5”), and large (22.5” x 28.5”). It only uses 80 watts of power and is certified by MET Labs to exceed USA/CA electrical safety standards. K&H provides a one-year limited warranty on the Lectro-Kennel Outdoor Heated Pet Pad.
- The thermostatically-controlled pad monitors temperature changes in the surrounding environment so it maintains but doesn’t exceed your dog’s body temperature.
- Your dog can lay on it or snuggle against it if it is mounted on the wall.
- Made of ABS plastic with a 5.5-foot steel wrapped cord, this mat can be used in outdoor buildings.
- The mat is available in small, medium, and large.
- The fleece cover can be removed for machine washing, and the interior pad can be wiped clean.
2. K&H Pet Products Self-Warming Crate Pad
Another K&H pad! It radiates the heat from your dog’s body back to help keep your pet warm. This is a safer option for dogs who are chewers, older dogs that don’t move that are consequently at risk of burns. and dogs who manage to get their bed wet frequently. You may also consider it a safer option for outdoor beds. However, when the dog gets up and leaves the bed, the pad cools up. It only warms up again after your dog returns and the pad once again can radiate your dog’s body heat.
The corners of the pad has slits to help it fit in a variety of crates. The top is a soft, comfortable microfleece, and the bottom is non-slip. Since it doesn’t use any electrical wires, it can be machine washed.
The mat offers three colors – tan, mocha, and gray, and six sizes from a 14” x 22” to 37” x 54”. K&H offers a one year limited warranty on this self-warming pet crate pad.
- The K&H pet crate pad is a self warming pad that reflects the heat from your dog’s body to keep it warm.
- Self-warming pads are safer for some dogs.
- The pad has slits in the corners to help it fit in crates.
- It is available in three colors and six sizes.
3. Marunda Electric Heating Mat
With the built-in dual thermostat, the Marunda cat and dog electric heating mat provides an automatically constant temperature between 95° and 108°F (35° to 42°C ). The scratch-proof, waterproof, and fire-proof PVC material makes it safe for your pet. In addition, it offers a chew-resistant steel cord that includes a pull-resistant ABS fixed-line clamp.
It is available in a small 12” x 15” size and a medium 15” x 24” size . For easy cleaning, the cover can be removed and machine washed. Marunda provides 24/7 customer service and a one year warranty.
- The Marunda heating mat offers a dual thermostat, so it keeps the mat at a constant temperature between 95° and 108°F (35° to 42°C).
- The mat is made of scratch-proof, waterproof, and fire-proof IP67 PVC material.
- It includes a chew-resistant steel cord with a pull-resistant ABS fixed-line clamp for your pet’s safety.
- It is machine washable and is available in two sizes.
4. Zobire Waterproof Large Dog Heating Mat
The Zobire heating mat is a single-circuit, dual thermostat mat that maintains a constant temperaure between 97° to 110°F . It has a waterproof PVC pad that can be wiped clean with a removable fleece cover that is machine washable. It is available as a small 17.7” x 15.75” size and a large 27.6” x 15.75” size.
Use the pad for dogs, cats, and rabbits especially senior, ill, injured, arthritic, expectant, and baby pets. For safety, the Zobire mat has a dual chew-resistant steel cord casing. It is certified by MET Labs to exceed USA electrical safety standards and offers a one year warranty.
- The Zobire heating mat offers a dual thermostat that maintains a constant temperature range of 97° to 110°F.
- It is waterproof, and offers a dual chew-resistant steel cord.
- The mat offers a waterproof PVC pad that can be wiped clean with a removable, machine-washable cover.
- It is available in two sizes and is certified by MET Labs to exceed USA electrical safety standards.
5. Riogoo Electric Heated Mat
The Riogoo mat offers a durable oxford fabric that is waterproof and easily wipes clean. The power-off protection temperature control is adjustable up to 104°F so your pets don’t ovrerheat. The pad should be used flat and not folded. You should insert it in a fleece cover or pillow case.
- Thw Riogoo has an adjustable poweroff protection temperature control that prevents your pets from overheating
- It is durable, waterproof oxford cloth and wipes clean
- It is available in two large sizes.
6. Warmstore Heated Bed Warmer
The Warmstore pad warms beds for both dogs and cats. You can use this mat for older pets, pets suffering from arthritis, pregnant pets, pets that are newborns, and pets that are recovering from an illness or injury. The bed has seven adjustable temperature settings ranging from 25℃ to 55℃ (77 to 131℉). Warmstore comments that the, in winter, the healthiest setting for pets is between 36℃ and 43℃ (96.8℉ and 109.4℉). They state that a setting within that range is the one most pets prefer. They recommend starting with a setting of 40℃ (104℉) and adjusting the pad to your pet’s preference from there. The heating pad includes an accurate LED temperature display, so you can easily check and adjust the temperature. A thermostat controls the temperature of the pad.
For safety, the heating pad uses low voltage, only 12V, and it warms slowly over a 10 minute period to prevent overheating and burns. The pad is made or fireproof, dustproof, and IP67 dust-proof PVC. The cover is easy to remove and can be machine or hand cleaned. The cord is wrapped in chew resistant steel-wrapped cord casting. This bed has passed assed ETL, UL, CE and ROHS testing. It comes in small and large sizes in blue, brown, and red.
- You can use this mat for older pets, pets suffering from arthritis, pregnant pets, pets that are newborns, and pets that are recovering from an illness or injury.
- The bed has seven adjustable temperature settings ranging from 25℃ to 55℃ (77 to 131℉).
- The heating pad includes an accurate LED temperature display.
- For safety, the heating pad uses low voltage, only 12V.
- The pad warms slowly over a 10 minute period to prevent overheating and burns.
- The pad is made or fireproof, dustproof, and IP67 dust-proof PVC. The cover is easy to remove and can be machine or hand cleaned.
- The cord is wrapped in chew resistant steel-wrapped cord casting.
- This bed has passed assed ETL, UL, CE and ROHS testing.
- The bed comes in two sizes and three colors.
K&H Original Lectro-Kennel Outdoor Heated Pet Pad
The Pet Dog Pals have reviewed many electric and one self-warming dog pads over the years. The K&H still is our favorite! It has slits to help it fit in a crate. The self-warming feature is good for a crate so that your dog does suffer any burns while it is confined, and it is usable if you are transporting your dog in the crate. However, we recommend the K&H Lectro-Kennel Outdoor Heated Pet Pad because the thermostat adjusts the heat so that your dog stays warm at any temperature without its body temperature being exceeded. It can be hung on a wall and still keep your dog warm. The pad and the cord are designed to be safe even in outdoor buildings. It is available in three sizes. The pad can be wiped clean and the cover can be machine washed.
Electric vs Self-heating?
With heated dog pads or mats, you have two possibilities: electric or self-heating. Electric options work like heating pads for people. They have a cord that plugs into an outlet with wiring and a thermostat inside the pad or mat that heats it to the set temperature and then shuts it off. When it cools off, it turns on again and reheats.
That is where the similarity between heating pads for people and pets ends. The maximum temperature of a heated dog bed is 102° Fahrenheit, which is less than regular electric blankets. Using a heated pad or mat intended for your dog protects it from becoming overheated.
There are several issues that you need to consider with electric dog beds. Dogs with mobility issues can get burned or overheated if they don’t move or change position. If the bed is going to be used outdoors, it needs special features, or you should use a self-heating pad or mat. There are also special features if your dog is a chewer. However, again, you may want to choose a self-heating dog bed. In addition, if your dog’s bed frequently gets wet, you may not want an electric dog bed.
Using mylar or similar materials, self-heating beds hold in your dog’s body heat, keeping the bed warm until your dog leaves. When your dog returns to its bed, it will reheat. An electric heated bed is a better choice for older dogs or really cold environments. You might also want to check this page for Winter dog blankets.
Some other beds offer microwaveable gel packs that keep the bed warm for up to 12 hours. Made with small silica, polypropylene, or glycerin beads; the gel packs will cool your dog in the summer as well as warm him or her in the winter.
Indoors or Outdoors?
Heated beds provide a warm sleeping space outdoors for working dogs. These beds use waterproof material and reinforced power cables.
If you are getting the pad or mat for a crate, get the exact size because you should not fold the pad. Otherwise, the pad or mat should fit your dog. Measuring your dog from the top of its head to the bottom of one of its front legs will provide the depth of the bed. The bed should also be wider than length from your dog’s snout to the base of its tail.
Dog pads and mats are available in several styles. A heating pad style made of metal, PVC, or nylon is inserted in your dog’s current bedding. It is not pliable and does not offer pillowy sides or back, but may have a washable cover. Beds with bolsters provide pillowy backs and sides to support your dog’s head. Beds raised off of the floor can be hard for smaller and older dogs to access.
You should also check the materials and construction of the bed for durability, especially if your dog is a chewer.
Having a cover that can be removed and washed plus interior material that can be wiped clean allows a dog bed to be used longer.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!