The Best Dog Skin & Coat Supplements in 2020
Good health starts from the inside and reflects through physical appearance. If your pet’s health is in question, you may see lethargy, eyes that are not clear, or a lack of appetite. One of the most apparent features that can give your dog an unhealthy look is the condition of their skin and coat.
As humans, we know that even with regular care and a good diet, supplementation may be necessary to help fill nutritional gaps. Similarly, your pet may need a little help getting their coat and skin looking healthy, supple, and shiny. Does your dog’s coat seem dull or are they having issues with dry, itchy skin? Read on to see some of the best supplements on the market this year!
Our Top List
Last update on 2020-06-03 at 19:39 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Zesty Paws Omega 3 Alaskan Fish Oil Chews
The Zesty Paws Company is known to take a more scientific approach to pet nutrition than other brands. Their omega-3 bites provide a rich supply of Omega fatty acids, vitamins, nutrients, EPA, and DHA to help improve your dog’s health, skin, and coat.
If you are looking for a solution to ease your pup’s misery caused by hot spots or dry and flaky skin, this supplement has fish oil, vitamins A and C, and antioxidants that will provide relief. You will see improvement in their coats as well. The nutrients will soften even the driest fur.
- Derived from a sustainable source of Wild Alaskan Pollok
- Delicious and easy to chew
- Gives your pet’s coat a healthy and shiny appearance
- Moisturizes and soothes skin
- Supports joint, immune system, and heart health
- Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, EPA, DHA, antioxidants fish oil, and biotin
The Missing Link supplements strive to provide dogs with nutrients that are absent from their diets. For more than 20 years, the company has been creating supplements formulated by veterinarians through the use of superfood nutrition and fatty acids. This incredible blend not only supports a dog’s skin and coat, but it helps with other functions too.
Another unique feature is that instead of the typical fish oil used in most supplements, this supplement uses nutrient-dense plant and seafood ingredients. It is also a powder form that is especially handy for dog owners who have pups that turn their noses up at the thought of having to take a vitamin or pill.
- Uses a preservative-free cold-processing method to help seal in nutrients
- Uses a flax-based Omega fatty acid source in combination with superfoods
- It is also a great source of phytonutrients and dietary fiber
- Easily administered powder form
- Helps skin & coat health
3. Pet Parents Omega Supplement
These chews are free from fillers and are loaded with nutrients to get your dog feeling and looking his best. Omega 3, fish oil, and salmon oils will bring a beautiful sheen to your dog’s coat and keep their skin healthy. It can also be given to pets who feel the persistent itch of skin allergies, hot spots, or dry skin problems.
This product seems particularly trustworthy because they produce the supplement in a facility that is FDA approved and their formula has been created by supplement scientists.
- Supplements undergo rigorous testing
- Contains a unique blend of ingredients that have been proven effective
- Can Help keep skin healthy and relieves skin conditions
- Promotes shiny and thicker fur
- Provides immune support
- Meat and vegetables are first on the ingredient list
- Contains more active ingredients than most other brands
4. Omega 3, 6, and 9 Supplement
No matter how tasty a supplement claims to be, sometimes your dog simply won’t eat it. These supplements come in a small tablet form that was easy to hide in a treat. The best part was that the doggy kisses that followed did not smell like dead fish. Omega 3,6,9 helps give dogs a shiny coat and promotes hair growth to make your pup more snuggly than ever.
It also helps with his heart, joint, and brain health with natural ingredients produced in a GMP organic certified facility.
- Rich in Omega fatty acids, DHA, EPA for healthy skin and fur
- Provides itch relief and improves shedding
- Small tablet size makes it easy to administer in many ways
- Helps with immune support, brain health, and heart health
- Improves joint mobility and relieves hip, joint, and arthritic pain
- All-natural and byproduct free pharmaceutical-grade formula
5. Salmon Supplement for Pets
Pets that are prone to allergies or have certain health issues can have adverse reactions to ingredients in supplements. This is where companies like Vital Pet Life step in to give you a simple and effective product. Their salmon oil supplement is pure and all-natural derived from wild Alaskan salmon. Salmon oil can be added to your pet’s diet whether it be a dog, cat, or horse to promote a shiny coat and moisturized skin. It also helps with joint problems like arthritis or gastritis.
- Simple single ingredient and all-natural
- Sustainably sourced from Alaskan salmon
- Aids in relief from shedding, allergies, dry skin, and itching
- Promotes a healthy-looking, soft, shiny coat
- Strengthens and moisturizes skin
- Helps with joint inflammation and mobility
- Comes in an easy to use pump-top or flip-top bottle
- Oil can easily be added to any type of food
6. Makondo Pets Supplement
Who doesn’t love bacon? These supplements harness a dog’s love for bacon. With its exceptional flavor, your furry friend won’t hesitate to eat it. Formulated by veterinarians in a GMP facility, Makondo Pets is part of the American Pet Products Association.
This tasty product helps keep your dog’s skin & coat supple, healthy, and beautiful. It also helps protect many other aspects of your pet’s health like allergies, immune system, joints, itch, eye health, and fights bacterial and fungal infection caused by pests.
- Flavor dogs love
- Relieves skin issues such as hot spots, dryness, allergies, and excessive shedding
- Easy to use tablet form can also be crushed and spread onto food
- Protects against infections spread by ticks, fleas, and mites
- Immune support
- Good for dogs and cats at any life stage
- Can be effectively used to treat pets with skin disorders
- Uses a natural blend of Omega fatty acids, minerals, vitamins, biotin, and other ingredients to help fill gaps in your pet’s nutrition
Verdict & Review
These supplements are some of the best on the market but the one that stood out was Zesty Paws Omega 3 Alaskan Fish Oil Chew Treats for Dogs. It is a well-rounded supplement that is grain-free and helps to take care of a plethora of skin, joint, and coat issues. It also puts your mind at ease that they are giving you a top-quality product formulated by science since it is manufactured in the US in a facility that is FDA registered and NSF and GMP certified.
How do you know if your Pet needs Supplementation?
It is always a good idea to consult your vet if something just does not seem right with your pet. However, if you notice your pet’s coat looking dull or if they shed excessively, it could be an indication that they need some sort of supplementation. Itchy, flaky skin can make your pet miserable and implementing a supplement to improve skin health can provide relief. These signs are all good reasons to discuss supplement options with your vet.
What causes Skin and Coat Issues?
A lot of these issues can be blamed on imbalanced diets derived from poor quality food or homemade diets. Poor quality foods are typically full of fillers while homemade diets (even though well-meaning) can be imbalanced and still lack vital levels of needed vitamins and minerals. Even reputable brands that provide ample nutrition can have lacking ingredients that are not ideal for your particular pet.
Certain health issues and sensitivities can also create dry skin or hair that is easily damaged. Some pets naturally have vitamin deficiencies that can lead to flaking and itching. Neglecting your dog’s grooming needs or over-grooming can both also have adverse effects. Luckily, these all can be treated with a good quality skin and coat supplement.
Ingredients to Look For
This is a list of effective ingredients and their benefits to consider when choosing a supplement for your pet:
This is typically an umbrella term for a group of fatty acids. Of those acids, EPA and DHA are the most well-known. They are found in substances like fish oil or seaweed. ALA is another nutritionally important fatty acid that can be found in dark-leafed plants. Adding Omega-3 to your dog’s diet can aid in promoting healthy joints, heart function, and support a strong immune system. It can also help with itching, coat health, and kidney functions.
This can rarely be deficient in some pets. They are often found in commercial dog foods since poultry and vegetable oils contain Omega-6. Thus, most pets get plenty of this acid. If there is a deficiency it may present itself by giving your dog a very dry and brittle coat that easily falls out. They may also be infection-prone and have an insatiable itch. It can also cause reproductive issues, poor weight gain, liver and kidney degeneration, and immune issues such as slow wound healing. Omega-3 and 6 need to be supplemented when deficient because they are gained through their diet and cannot be produced naturally.
This vitamin is an important nutrient that can counteract the effects of free radicals. Free radicals cause damage to cells and can do so at higher levels during illness and as a dog ages. Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant that helps with cell repair, immune support, reproductive health, and can also aid in keeping eyes clear.
Also known as vitamin b7 in dogs, biotin helps treat allergic reactions and skin conditions. It is especially effective when used in conjunction with fatty acids. It can also aid in digestive health, muscle formation, and general growth.
Vitamin A helps to rebuild body tissues. Deficiencies can lead to a dull coat and itchy skin. Supplementing with vitamin A also provides lubricating benefits to the membranes that line the liver, kidney, and lungs helping them function optimally and ward off disease.
Even though vitamin C is produced naturally in your dog’s body, it can deplete quickly if they fall ill or are stressed physically or emotionally. Vitamin C also helps strengthen their immune system. It enhances the antioxidant properties of vitamin E, increases the number of antibodies, and can act as a natural antihistamine to relieve allergies.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!