The Best Dog Sunscreens in 2024
You want your dog to be able to go outside and enjoy the sunshine and warm weather without worrying about sunburn. This means that you may have to pick out a sunscreen you can apply to your dog’s nose and ears before they go out.
The Pet Dog Pals live in sunny California, so we always have a need for good sunscreen for our pets. This is why it’s child’s play for us to assemble the six finest sunscreens on the market this year. Let’s have a look at them!
Our Top List
Last update on 2024-02-16 at 04:01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Handy Hound SnoutScreen
This sunscreen heals, soothes, and protects your dog’s nose from the damaging effects of the sun, and this sunscreen is very good for helping heal any dry or cracked skin by adding moisture. This sunscreen comes in a handy stick form that makes it quick and easy to apply to your dog’s nose without a mess, and the sunscreen comes made out of all-natural ingredients that are safe for your dog. This product is made in the United States to strict quality control standards, and you get a 100% satisfaction guarantee with each tube you purchase.
- Benefits – Protects ears, snout, and feet
- Certified Organic – Yes
- Form – Tube with a twist design
- Very easy to apply with no mess
- Locks in moisture to heal existing damage
- 100% natural formula with high-quality ingredients
- 90-day money back warranty
- Have to apply it multiple times throughout the day
2. Emmy’s Best Skin Protector Spray
This easy application spray protects your dog’s skin from the sun while locking in moisture to nourish their skin and coat, and this sunscreen contains a 100% natural formula that is safe and non-toxic for your dog. The spray bottle has a precision application tip that ensures you only get the sunscreen where you want it, and you’ll get a non-greasy formula with coconut oil and Shea butter. Finally, each purchase comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee that gives you the peace of mind that comes with knowing you’re getting a quality product.
- Benefits – Nourishes the coat while protecting the skin
- Certified Organic – No
- Form – Aerosol spray
- Comes with a precision applicator
- Made with high-quality Shea butter and coconut oil
- Safe for your dog to ingest
- Get a lot of use out of a single bottle
- Might have a strong smell
- Have to reapply it every few hours for it to work
3. My Dog Nose It – Moisturizing Sun Protection
This is a water-resistant sun protection balm that prevents cracking or sunburn on your dog’s nose, and it contains coconut oil and wax to seal in moisture and create a helpful barrier. The formula for this balm contains all natural ingredients that are safe for your dog to ingest, and it works well to protect their belly, ears, or nose. This product comes from trusted sources from around the United States, and this balm has very strict quality control standards attached to each step of the production process.
- Benefits – Protects your dog’s nose, belly, and ears
- Certified Organic – No
- Form – Firm balm
- Locks in moisture while forming a protective barrier
- Works well on all breeds and coat types
- Only need to use a little balm to go a long way
- Formulated with natural and safe ingredients
- Might flake off after 30 to 45 minutes
- Does not work as well in direct sunlight
4. Chris Christensen Ice on Ice
This formula is a mix of a detangler or conditioner and sunscreen, and the formula comes in a convenient spray form that has a precision tip for exact applications. This product fortifies, treats, and protects your dog’s coat from damage, and the spray forms a barrier to lock out harmful UV rays and keep your dog’s skin nourished. Another bonus of using this product is that it adds elasticity back into your dog’s coat, and more elasticity means that you won’t see as much damage or breakage when you brush them.
- Benefits – Detangles, fortifies, nourishes, and protects
- Certified Organic – No
- Form – Spray
- Works as a sunscreen and a detangler
- Comes with a precision application nozzle
- Creates a protective barrier on your dog’s coat
- Has a non-greasy formula
- Formula is very thin and watery
- Have to apply it daily for best results
5. Natural Dog Company Snout Soother
This sunscreen contains a powerful mix of grapeseed oil, hemp seed oil, jojoba oil, and vitamin E that moisturizes, nourishes, and protects your dog’s ears and nose, and the balm comes certified as organic and vegan. This balm stick is easy to apply, store, and carry, and it has an exclusive fragrance-free formula that makes it less harsh to use on your dog’s nose.
You’ll get a mess-free application process each time you use it, and this balm comes in a small and portable tube that is easy to pack and take with you.
- Benefits – Protects and moisturizes
- Certified Organic – Yes and vegan
- Form – Balm in a tube
- Uses natural ingredients with high-quality oils
- Applicator gives you a mess-free system
- Certified vegan and organic with no chemicals
- Has a 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Might take up to a week or two to work
- Has a slightly greasy feel
6. Wolfe & Sparky Sun Damage Protector
This thick formula works well to protect your dog’s nose, ears, and the pads of their feet from cracking or sunburn, and the formula locks in moisture to keep these areas healthy and hydrated. You’ll get a natural and organic formula that is healthy and safe to use on your dog as much as you like, and this lotion forms a barrier to block out harmful UV rays. It comes with a very light scent that fades quickly after you apply it.
- Benefits – Protects and moisturizes feet, ears, and paws
- Certified Organic – Yes
- Form – Thicker lotion
- Made with a mix of high-quality organic ingredients
- Made in the United States
- Very quick and easy to apply
- Comes in a dark bottle for a long storage life
- Can hurt your dog’s eyes if you accidentally get it in them
- Keeps an oily consistency after you apply it
Our pick for the best sunscreen for dogs is the Handy Hound SnoutScreen because it works to heal, soothe, and protect your dog’s nose from UV rays while forming a protective barrier. It also uses natural ingredients that are safe for your dog if they lick it, and it comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
We invite you to compare our six product reviews to find the best option to use on your dog. We also have a comprehensive buyer’s guide available that outlines all of the essential criteria to consider when you make your choice.
You need sunscreen when you go outside in warm weather to protect your skin from sunburn, and your dog should have sunscreen to protect their ears, nose, and skin from burns, drying out, or cracks. Dog with white coats or thin fur should have sunscreen on every time they go out because they’re more prone to getting sunburned. Even if your dog goes out for a few minutes, they should have at least a light layer of sunscreen on.
Different Types of Sunscreen
Dog Sunscreen generally falls into three broad categories. Each one works well when you apply them to your dog. However, some may work better depending on your preferences and your dog’s coat. The three biggest types of sunscreen are:
- Balm – Balms are slightly firmer mixtures that come in a tube or in a small container. You take a small amount and rub it into your dog’s snout or wherever you want to apply it. These balms usually have a slightly oilier feel, and this residue means it doesn’t do well on longer coats.
Lotion – You can get sunscreen lotion for dogs just like you can for humans. The lotion usually has a slightly thicker consistency that allows you to work it deep into your dog’s skin.
Spray – The final category is a light spray. You spray the sunscreen on your dog and lightly rub it in. The spray will soak into your dog’s skin and coat to form a protective barrier.
Sunscreen Buying Considerations
There are a few important considerations you want to keep in mind when you start comparing products. Having a list will help you narrow down your choices and pick out the best sunscreen available.
There is always a chance that your dog could lick the sunscreen and ingest it. This is exactly why you want a safe and non-toxic formula with natural ingredients. Look for a sunscreen that comes with an organic or vegan certification because this means it has tighter quality control.
How long will your sunscreen last for once you apply it to your dog? At the minimum, any sunscreen you pick should last for a few hours. If it doesn’t, you’ll find yourself reapplying it, again and again, to keep your dog protected.
Many dog sunscreens have dual or triple uses. For example, it’ll protect your dog from UV rays while nourishing their skin or coat. This lets you lock in moisture to keep their skin and coat healthy while protecting their skin at the same time from the sun. It should also be a non-greasy formula, so your dog’s coat doesn’t get dull or weighted down.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!