The Best Kayaks for Dogs in 2022
- Our Top List
- 1. Professional Series Kayak
- 2. Advanced Elements Kayak
- 3. Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak
- 4. Ocean Kayak Malibu
- 5. Perception Rambler Tandem Kayak
- 6. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak Set
- Verdict & Review
- Professional Series Inflatable Fishing Kayak
- Buyer’s Guide
Are you a big fan of kayaking? Do you want to be able to bring your water-loving dog out with you for a great adventure?
We hit the waters every summer and know there are some great kayaks available for dog owners. After all, we use them ourselves!
But not all boats are the same, and you don’t want to take your dog with you in some of them. In the article below, we show you the top 6 dog-suitable kayaks on the market this year. So let’s get into it!
Our Top List
Last update on 2022-01-28 at 13:38 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Professional Series Kayak
Take your dog out on the open water with the Professional Series Kayak. This is an inflatable, so you won’t need to worry about having tons of storage space for it in your home. It has high-pressure, spring-loaded valves that are designed to help it inflate and deflate quickly, so you’ll be able to get out on the water right away.
This option can hold a total of 400 pounds, so you’ll easily be able to bring your dog out with you in it. It is made using a durable laminated PVC with a polyester core. These materials will help reduce the risk of it getting punctured or deteriorating due to strong rays from the sun.
You’ll be able to pack a few essentials for you and your dog thanks to the storage space that is available in the bow and stern of the kayak. There are stainless-steel D-rings that will let you tie down what you bring along with you.
This boat has two adjustable bucket seats, two fishing rod holders, and two mounted footrests. Your purchase will also include two removable skews that you can use in deep and shallow water.
- Holds up to 400 pounds.
- The high-pressure, spring-loaded valves help it inflate and deflate quickly.
- There is storage space in the bow and stern.
- The bucket seats can be adjusted.
- There are two fishing rod holders
- With the storage space in the bow and stern, you’ll be able to pack some snacks for you and your dog.
- You can adjust the bucket seat to give your dog enough space.
- Its durable materials provide it with resistance against getting punctured.
- If you plan to go fishing with this kayak, there are two recessed fishing rod holders to hold your rod.
- If you’re on the taller side, the footrest may not work well for you.
2. Advanced Elements Kayak
Another great inflatable option to consider is the Advanced Elements Kayak. This one also has aluminum ribs built into its design to help provide more definition for the bow and stern. This can make it easier to navigate.
Even through this option inflates, it is still very durable; you won’t need to worry about it getting punctured. It features three layers of strong material to make sure anything you hit doesn’t burst the kayak or make a hole. This option is also able to hold up to 550 pounds, so it will be perfect for you and your dog.
Both seats have adjustable seats with padding to keep you comfortable as you ride. You can adjust the seat locations in three different ways. If you want, you can even remove one of the seats to take the kayak out by yourself.
When you purchase this product, it will come pre-assembled. You’ll just need to unfold it, inflate it, and put the seats in.
- Three layers of durable material.
- It can hold up to 550 pounds.
- The seats are well padded.
- You can adjust the location of the two seats and can even remove one of them.
- This product can be purchased in red or green.
- Since this option can support 550 pounds, you will have no problem bringing your dog and even another person out with you.
- The seats can be adjusted in three different ways.
- Each seat is well-padded to keep you comfortable for longer rides.
- It may take some time and effort to get the kayak sufficiently dry to store it.
3. Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak
If you are looking to take your dog out with you and a partner or friend, consider the Sevylor 3-Person Kayak. It has three adjustable seats that will help keep you and any passengers secure and comfortable. There are spray covers to prevent you from getting splashed too much when you’re out on the water.
It features durable PVC construction. It also has a tarpaulin bottom to provide addition puncture protection. In the event the kayak does get punctured, it has multiple air chambers, so only the punctured section will deflate.
This kayak is guaranteed not to leak air thanks to the Airtight System. It includes a double-threaded Boston Valve to make it easier and quicker to inflate and deflate.
- Can hold three people (or two people and a dog).
- It is made using PVC construction with a tarpaulin base to prevent it from getting punctured.
- There are numerous air chambers to offer protection if one sections does get punctured.
- Has an Airtight System to prevent leaks.
- The seats can be adjusted.
- There are carry handles on the sides of the kayak.
- The tarpaulin base and PVC construction make it resistant against punctures.
- Guaranteed not to leak air.
- You’ll be able to fit three people or people and dogs in this kayak.
- With three seats, you may feel a bit cramped.
4. Ocean Kayak Malibu
If you’re looking for a hardshell option, look at the Ocean Kayak Malibu. You can adjust the position of the seats to use the kayak by yourself, with a partner, or with a child or pet. To keep you and your fellow travelers comfortable, the seats features padding and slip prevention.
This one has an open, sit-on-top design that will make it easy for you to get in and out of it. It can hold up to 425 pounds.
If you and your co-rider are seated facing the center, the overlapping foot wells will help make you more comfortable and allow you to brace your feet better.
You can get the Malibu in two color combination options: sunrise (orange and yellow) and envy (green and white).
- This is a hard shell kayak.
- The seats can be adjusted into various positions for one or two riders.
- It is easy to get in and out of it.
- The seats are padded and have slip prevention.
- Its capacity is 425 pounds.
- There are side, bow, and stern, carry handles.
- There is a seating option designed specifically to be used if you’re bringing your child or dog with you.
- You’ll find it easy to get in and out of it.
- You won’t need to worry about inflating or deflating the kayak since it is a hard shell option.
- The capacity of 425 pounds is less than some other models.
5. Perception Rambler Tandem Kayak
You and your dog will enjoy cruising together in the Perception Rambler Tandem Kayak. This is a hard shell kayak designed for users of varying skill levels. It is suitable for use in the ocean, on a lake, in light surf, or in a slow-moving river.
This kayak has padded seats that can be removed. There is also a mold-in center section, which is the perfect place for your dog to ride. You’ll be able to adjust the footrest setting to find the most comfortable position for you.
There are three color combinations to choose from, namely the Deja Vu (aqua & green), Dapper (aqua & black), and Sunset (orange & yellow).
- Can be used by individuals of all skill levels.
- There are two padded seats which can be removed.
- The mold-in center section is designed for dogs or children.
- You can adjust the footrest settings.
- There are three color combinations to choose from.
- The mold-in center section provides an ideal space for your dog to ride.
- The seats are padded and can be removed.
- The footrest settings can be adjusted to accommodate different riders.
- There are no storage compartments in this option.
6. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak Set
The Intex Explorer Kayak Set is an inflatable option that includes paddles and an air pump. It is capable of holding up to 400 pounds. This is a great option to consider if you and your dog like kayaking in a lake, calm river, or another smaller body of water.
There are two inflatable seats with comfortable backrests. The front seat will provide the most legroom for a rider. If needed, there is a removable skeg that you can take out to provide directional stability.
This kayak is a bright yellow color with a gray interior. The yellow color will help make you more visible in the event of an emergency.
- This is an inflatable kayak.
- The set includes two paddles and an air pump.
- Its capacity is 400 pounds.
- The seats have a backrest designed to keep you comfortable as you ride.
- The skeg can be removed for directional stability.
- There is a lot of leg room in the front seat.
- The seats are designed with comfort in mind.
- The bright yellow color makes you visible in case of an emergency.
- This option is not designed to be used in the ocean.
Verdict & Review
If you’re looking for a quality kayak that helps you and your dog have some fun out in the open water together, the Professional Series Kayak is an excellent option to consider. It is made from a high-quality laminated PVC with a polyester core to help prevent it from getting punctured or damaged by the sun. It can hold up to 400 pounds, so you and your dog should be able to enjoy a ride together with no issues.
This kayak is inflatable too, so it will be easy for you to bring in your car with your dog. Once you’re ready to go, it will inflate quickly thanks to the high-pressure, spring-loaded valves.
Some other features you’re sure to love about this option is the storage space in the bow and stern, the adjustable seat, the mounted foot rests, and the removable skews.
If your dog can’t seem to get enough of the water, the two of you are sure to share some awesome adventures in a kayak. Since there are lots of different boats for dogs that are available and not every option has all the same features, use our buying guide below to help you decide which product will work best for you and your dog.
Before you purchase a kayak, be sure to verify the amount of weight it can hold. Be sure your weight added to your dog’s weight is under the boat’s capacity. If you plan on bringing your dog along with you and another person, you’ll want to confirm the three of you together still weigh less than the total amount the kayak can hold.
You will also want to pay attention to the overall size. Be sure to pick an option that will provide enough room for you and your dog to each have your own section where you can sit comfortably. Look for a kayak that will give your dog a little extra space, even, to allow them to move around some as they ride.
Stability is definitely an important factor to consider. Your dog will inevitably move around or stand up, so if the kayak is not stable enough, they could cause it to tip over. Select a more stable option to ensure the safety for your pup.
There are different styles and types of kayaks, and some are better options for using with a dog than others. Sit-on-top kayaks are often preferred over sit-in kayaks since they feature a more open design that will provide more space for your dog. They are also the more stable of the two designs, so you may want to look for this type to ensure your dog doesn’t get flipped out into the water.
Fishing kayaks are another good option to consider. This type is also a pretty stable option as they are designed to let users sit or stand. It may be less likely to tip over if your dog stands up or moves around than some other options.
Finally, you will probably want to look for a tandem kayak, especially if you have a large dog. A single kayak is unlikely to provide enough space for you and your dog to both sit comfortably. With a tandem kayak, you’ll each have your own space to spread out and get comfortable.
Hardshell or Inflatable
Some kayaks feature a hardshell design, while other options are inflatable. Either of these types is fine to consider. Both are durable and should preform well out on the water.
To help you decide which type to buy, think about your storage and transport options. If you don’t have space at home for a kayak or have a more compact car, an inflatable one may be the best way to go.
Quality and Durability
Be sure to select a quality product that will hold up well to repeated use. Look for something made with durable materials. If you select an inflatable option, be sure to confirm that its outside will provide protection against getting punctured. Look for a product made with of durable rubber and PVC.
Other Features to Consider
Before you make your purchase, there are a few other features you may want to look for in the product you decide on. These include adjustable seats, padded seats for comfort, storage compartments, and attractive designs or colors.
Tips to Keep Your Dog Safe When Kayaking Together
Buy a Life Vest for Your Dog
First, you will want to purchase a life vest for your dog. This will help make sure they remain safe if the kayak flips over, or they fall or jump out of it. With a life vest, they’ll be able to float or swim until you’re able to get to them to offer help.
Train Your Dog
Before you decide to take your dog out on the water, you will want to make sure they are well-trained and follow commands. You want to be confident that your dog will listen to you when you are out on the water to prevent an accident or swim to you if they happen to fall out of the boat.
Be prepared to start slowly with your dog to get them used to the new situation and being out on the water. Before you even take them out on a trip, let them explore the kayak. Next, try sitting in it (on dry land) together.
The first few times you go out on a trip with your dog, go for short amount of times and try to stay in shallower water. After a while, your dog should be ready to enjoy normal trips out in the kayak with you.
Finally, just like you protect your skin with sunscreen, you will want to keep your dog protected. The sun’s rays are strong when you’re out on the open water, and your dog may get burned. There are special sunscreens designed specifically for dogs that you can purchase to keep your pup protected.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!