The Best LED Light-Up Dog Harnesses in 2022
- Our Top List
- 1. Noxgear LightHound LED Reflective Harness
- 2. Pet Industries Harness
- 3. Rabbitgoo No-Pull Harness with Light
- 4. Domi Light-Up Harness
- 5. Blazin’ Safety Illuminated Harness
- Verdict & Review
- Noxgear LightHound LED Harness
- Buying Guide
Whether you walk your dog late or you like to jog with your pet before leaving for your night-shift job, you are more likely to be hit by a motorist who didn’t see you. You don’t want to give up your evening outings, but you do want to make sure that both of you have the best chance to be spotted by traffic.
A harness with LED lighting is the solution to this problem. We use harnesses like this all the time, especially in the winter months. Here are our favorite options that ensure your pup’s safety and visibility!
Our Top List
This harness features eight lighting color options and six multi-color light modes, which can all be selected by the press of a button, so your dog will always match your style. The rechargeable vest is durable to stand up to a walk in the rain or pets that are hard on their equipment, yet lightweight enough to wear year-round. It comes in three sizes and is adjustable at the neck and the waist, making it a good fit for many different breeds.
- Eight solid-color lighting choices on every vest: red, yellow, magenta, blue, purple, pink, green, and cyan
- Six multi-color modes: disco dog, rainbow, cool comet, rescue, independence day, and photon burst
- 360-degree illumination that is visible from over half a mile away
- Features a quick-charging battery, eliminating the need for batteries on the vest itself
- Machine washable
- Can be used over your favorite collar, harness, or dog jacket
This harness comes in five sizes ranging from extra small to extra large, and small breeds will benefit most from its ultra-lightweight design. The vest has a long-lasting USB rechargeable battery that can last up to seven hours with a full charge. It comes in blue or green and offers three light settings that you can change by simply clicking a button.
- Ultra-Bright Optical Fiber strips make your dog visible from every angle
- Safe to use in any weather
- Smart charge technology shows you when the battery is fully charged
- Battery can be fully charged in only an hour
This harness is made from durable, water-repellent nylon, which makes it perfect for outdoor exercise or training in any weather. It features USB rechargeable LED lights that hold a charge for up to ten hours with only two hours of charging time. There are two heavy-duty leash rings on each vest– one on the back for dogs who are already leash trained, and one on the chest that’s helpful for training or for more control over a dog that likes to pull.
- Four lighting modes: steady white, flashing white, steady red, and flashing red
- Reflective stitching for added visibility
- Breathable mesh to keep your dog from overheating
- Sturdy top handle for those instances where you need to gain immediate control of your pup
This harness features quick-snap buckles, so it’s easy to put on your dog, even if your furry friend gives you a hard time when you try to get their vest on. It’s designed to evenly distribute pulling pressure across your dog’s body, which eliminates choking that pets can experience when leashed directly to their collars.
- Available in small, medium, and large sizes, making it suitable for a variety of dog breeds
- Four vest colors for you to choose from– blue, green, pink, and red
- There are two lighting modes– flashing and steady glow
- USB rechargeable battery that lasts for up to eight hours on flashing mode and up to two hours on steady glow mode
- Machine washable when you remove the battery
- Backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee
This harness features eight colors and six flashing modes, as well as reflective fabric for an extra layer of visibility. It is available in small, medium, and large, and has velcro straps at the neck and chest that are easily adjustable to fit most dogs.
- Eight solid-color lighting options: violet, turquoise, green, red, blue, yellow, pink, and aqua
- Six flashing light modes to choose from: kaleidoscope, blazin’ cool, quick-burst, fade in and out, quark, and fast fade
- Easily cycle through colors and lighting modes at the press of a button
- Offers 360-degree visibility thanks to four individual light strips
- USB rechargeable battery holds a charge for up to fifteen hours of use between plug-ins
- Backed by a 100% lifetime guarantee
Verdict & Review
Noxgear LightHound LED Harness
Each of the LED harnesses we reviewed will keep your dog much safer on your nightly walks than walking without one, but we think the Noxgear LightHound – Illuminated & Reflective Harness for Dogs stands out from the pack. The versatility in color options and lighting styles make this vest as fun as it is functional, and the ability to toss it in the washing machine when it gets dirty is fantastic. If you and your pooch like to take nighttime strolls through the neighborhood in style, we think this harness is the perfect fit for you.
An LED dog harness is a vest-style harness that features battery-powered LED lighting to keep your pup safe while walking at night. You can use these vests on their own or slip them over your favorite collar or harness to increase your dog’s visibility after dark. Most harnesses are water-resistant and cold-resistant, which make them great safety options in any weather.
Combining with other harness types
If you need to use a different type of harness, such as military vests or a harness to stop dogs from pulling too much, you should go with an LED collar instead. This way you can combine the benefits of both, though you get less light from a collar. Sometimes there is just no other solution, especially for strong dogs that still need to learn not to pull. In the latter case, you can also use a prong collar and combine it with an LED harness, so you can do it the other way around for that.
Do I need such a harness?
If you take evening walks with your dog, you should consider investing in such a harness. Not only will it make your dog stand out to vehicles, but it will also make them stand out to other passersby on the sidewalk or trail where you’re walking, allowing them to walk by without being startled by your pup.
For those who don’t walk at night, you may also consider getting an harness if you allow your dog off-leash at night. If you have a large, unlit back yard, it could be extremely beneficial to put this type of vest on your pup before letting them out to use the bathroom after dark. That way, if they aren’t the most obedient when you tell them to come in, you can easily see where they are to get them and bring them indoors.
An LED collar can offer some of the same benefits, but since the surface area is much smaller, there’s a significant reduction in visibility in comparison to a harness.
What features should I look for in a light-up harness?
If you’ve decided to get an LED harness, but find yourself overwhelmed with all the options, we can help. Here are a few things you’ll want to look at before purchasing a new LED dog harness.
The first thing you’ll need to consider is if it will be comfortable for your dog to wear. If the material isn’t breathable, your pup could overheat, especially if you’ll be using the vest for jogging.
You will also want to make sure that it’s the right size for your dog; you can ensure a good fit by using a cloth measuring tape around their neck and the widest part of their body. You should choose a model that is easily adjustable so that you can make slight changes in the way the harness fits if your pup gains or loses weight.
The next thing you should pay attention to is the battery. Is it rechargeable? If not, your dog may have anle aversion to the smell of the battery, or the vest could become cumbersome for a small dog. Non-rechargeable batteries do last longer than their rechargeable counterparts (think months of battery life versus hours), but you will have the added expense of buying replacement batteries every so often. Depending on how much you use the harness, this could quickly become expensive.
If the battery is rechargeable, you’ll want to take note of how long it takes to charge the battery and how long it will last on a single charge. Many harnesses hold a charge for seven to ten hours when you use the steady light mode and 15-20 hours when you use a flashing light mode.
Many harness models also offer removable batteries to make the vest safe to throw in the washing machine, which is a huge bonus.
Lastly, you’ll want to take note of the lights themselves. Placement of the lights is vital; the best harnesses offer lighting strips in the front, on the top, and both sides for 360-degree visibility.
You will also want to make sure your dog is visible from far off in the distance– many harnesses allow your dog to be seen from more than half a mile away. Some vests also have reflective strips stitched into them, which makes it even easier for traffic and passersby to notice your pet.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!