The Best Outdoor Dog Kennels in 2021
- Our Top 6 List
- 1. Lucky Dog Uptown Welded Wire Kennel
- 2. Cove Products K9 Ultimate Outdoor Kennel System
- 3. Advantek Pet Gazebo Kennel
- 4. Wire Pen Fence Enclosure
- 5. BestPet Metal Kennel
- 6. PawHut Outdoor Galvanized Kennel
- Verdict & Review
- Lucky Dog Uptown Welded Kennel
- Buying Guide
If your dog enjoys spending time outside, but you don’t have a fenced-in yard, how can you keep them safe while also giving them the chance to romp around in the sunshine? One excellent solution to this problem is an outdoor kennel.
Kennels are great, especially if they have a roof to provide shade and shielding against rain if the weather turns. We’ve tested a ton of kennels this year so you can choose from the best ones on the market right now. So let’s get into it!
Our Top 6 List
Last update on 2021-07-15 at 11:28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Lucky Dog Uptown Welded Wire Kennel
This kennel comes in three sizes: 6’H x 4’W x 4′ L, 6’H x 4’W x 8’L, and 6’H x 4’W x 4’L. Made from sturdy wire that features a rust-resistant coating and includes a waterproof tarp on a steel roof frame to keep your dog securely inside and protected from sun or rain. The modular design allows you to set the panels up in a shape that best suits your space.
We love the durability and ease of setup of this unit, and their pets enjoy the freedom it allows them to move about the yard unattended.
- Heavy-duty metal frame
- Modular design allows you to set the kennel up in whatever layout best fits your space
- Raised legs to allow you to sweep debris out of the unit without needing to go in and disturb your dog
- Tall enough for the average person to enter the kennel, which makes cleaning it a breeze.
- Versatile design keeps any size dog safely secured outdoors
- Allows for two kennels to be connected as one if you would like your dog to have even more room inside their enclosure
- Panels clamp together in such a way that makes it easy enough for one person to set it up or take it down in just a few minutes.
- The manufacturer recommends using ground anchors with this unit, but you must purchase them separately.
2. Cove Products K9 Ultimate Outdoor Kennel System
This premium kennel system is an entire dog run package that comes with everything you will need to kennel your dog outdoors safely. The dog run features a huge 8′ x 16′ of steel panels that have been coated with a weather-resistant powder to increase the longevity of the unit.
This system keeps even the most skilled escape artists securely contained, which provides them with peace of mind about the safety of their canine companions.
- Kennel-mounted swivel bowl system allows you to feed your pet without the need to enter their kennel each time
- Spetic system keeps the space sanitary for your pet and makes waste clean-up a breeze
- An 8′ x 8’side cover, and canvas top keep your dog out of the sun and rain
- Kennel flooring keeps your dog up off the ground, which keeps them clean and prevents them from digging their way out of the enclosure
- Includes everything necessary to give your dog the ultimate kennel experience
- Kennel flooring conditions your dog to stop digging behaviors
- 8′ sides keep dogs from jumping over the uncovered section of the unit
- Canvas side panel gives your dog a space inside their kennel that blocks rain from blowing in
- None, really. This is a huge kennel and pricey but adequate for its size and features.
3. Advantek Pet Gazebo Kennel
This pet gazebo comes in four sizes (3′, 4′, 5′, and 8′) to comfortably contain dogs of all sizes. The galvanized steel wire panels and gate are very sturdy, and a weather-resistant, reversible polyethylene cover keeps your furry friend protected from rain and sun. It’s effortless to assemble and disassemble this unit, which makes it ideal if you like to travel.
We love that these kennels are big and sturdy enough to keep even the largest dogs safe and secure.
- Accessories such as a sunshade, corridor cover for use between multiple units, and a gazebo tote bag can be purchased to enhance the function of this kennel
- Easy to construct in 10 minutes, which makes it ideal for pets on the go
- Two or more units can be connected to one another to provide a larger space
- Easy, tool-free construction
- Most travel-friendly kennel on the market
- Larger dogs may be able to orchestrate an escape by separating the panels from one another
4. Wire Pen Fence Enclosure
This playpen-style kennel comes in 3 sizes (24 inches, 32 inches, and 40 inches), and features extra-wide panels that are suitable for a variety of dogs. This unit is made from sturdy, rust-resistant metal, which means it will last longer than the traditional mesh or plastic pens of the same style.
We like how simple it is to take along when traveling and the amount of space it provides for their canine companions.
- Rounded edges and coated wire ensures that your pets won’t injure themselves on the unit
- You can use the connecting rods to anchor the playpen to increase safety and security in an outdoor setting
- Collapses quickly for easy storage
- Adjustable panels allow you to easily separate the unit into two separate spaces or connect multiple playpens depending on your needs
- Metal construction makes this much sturdier than its plastic counterparts
- Tool-free assembly
- Folds up for convient storage
- Panels are only 24 inches high, so this kennel won’t secure a medium/large/XL dog that’s looking to make a break for it
5. BestPet Metal Kennel
This kennel comes in two sizes (4′ H x 4′ W x 4.3′ L and 7.5′ H x 3.75′ W x 5.8′ L), and features tensile-strength, rust-resistant wire panels and a waterproof cover to keep your dog secure and out of the elements.
We like the sleek look of the kennel, which makes them feel as though they can also use it indoors to take the place of a traditional crate.
- Simple assembly instructions to help you get the kennel set up in a matter of minutes
- Shiny black metal gives it a classier look than traditional chain-link kennels
- Great for its intended use outdoors but versatile enough to use for crate training indoors
- The larger size is tall enough for pet owners to easily enter the enclosure
- Waterproof cover provides an oasis from rain or the harmful UV rays of thesun
- Too lightweight to effectively contain large dogs
6. PawHut Outdoor Galvanized Kennel
This kennel features a 71.5″H x 57.5″W x 97″L galvanized metal frame and a weather and UV-resistant canopy to keep your dog protected from rain and sun. The panels feature a 2″ x 2″ grid, which will prevent smaller breeds from escaping. This kennel holds up well even against dogs that destroy typical pet store crates.
- Made from 100% commercial-grade galvanized steel
- Tarp attaches with durable elastic cords that allows for a snug fit over the top of the frame to keep out the elements
- Little to no maintainance needed to keep this unit in top condition
- Pitched roof allows rain, snow, and debris to run off rather than weighing it down
- Mulitple kennels can be connected together with no extra parts so your dog can have a larger space
- Raised legs make it easy to sweep or hose without needing to enter the unit
- The company does not offer replacement parts for the kennel, so if something breaks, you’ll have to buy a whole new unit.
When you have a dog who loves the outdoors, you know you need a way to keep them secured and safe from the elements while they enjoy the fresh air. Every one of the outdoor kennel options we explored has awesome features, but we find the Lucky Dog Uptown kennel best across the board. It’s sturdy enough to keep the biggest pets secure, and the small size of the panel grid and spaces between panels prevent smaller pets from escaping. It’s also easy enough to assemble and disassemble that you can move the kennel if you don’t like where you’ve placed it in your yard. This unit has the security you’re looking for at a budget-friendly price that makes it the perfect option for your canine companion.
What is an Outdoor Dog Kennel?
An outdoor dog kennel serves the same purpose as an indoor crate in that it is a secured space that can keep a dog safely contained while owners can’t supervise them. The difference between them is that outdoor kennels are generally much larger than crates, and they come in weather-resistant material to prevent rusting.
If your dog enjoys spending a lot of time outside, an excellent option for them might be a kennel/run combination. The kennel provides a small area where your pup can enjoy food and water and lie down in a comfy bed, while the run gives them more space to stretch their legs.
Do I Need an Outdoor Dog Kennel?
If you have a dog who loves the outdoors, but you don’t have a fenced-in yard, your pup may benefit from an outdoor kennel.
The same is also true if you have a fenced yard, but your dog typically requires supervision outside to prevent them from digging under the fence. With an outdoor kennel, you can provide your furry friend with a secure space by adding flooring to the unit, which will stop them from being able to dig underneath their fencing. This added security allows your dog to be outside while you tend to household chores or run errands and gives you peace of mind.
An outdoor kennel may also be a beneficial addition for pet owners who like to travel with their canine companions or for those who show their dogs. In this case, a heavy-duty unit that is easy to set up and tear down will be the best option.
What Features Should I Look for in an Outdoor Kennel?
The features you look for will vary depending on the size of your dog and what you would like to do with the kennel.
For example, if you have a small dog that you’d like to travel with, a playpen-style kennel may work best for you. It needs to be durable, but since your pet is tiny, it doesn’t need to be tall or be able to withstand the damage that a larger breed can do.
On the other hand, if your furry friend is of the large or extra-large variety, you’ll need a unit that you can secure to the ground via anchors or possibly even cement around the legs to make sure they stay safely inside their enclosure.
Whichever unit you choose, some things you’ll want to take notice to are the material it’s built from, the type of locking system it has, and whether or not it has a roof.
Since you’re planning on using the kennel outdoors, you’ll want to make sure you choose weather-resistant material, such as coated, galvanized steel.
If you have a smart pup, you will need to make sure that the lock on the gate is too complex for them to figure out how to break out.
If you plan to keep your dog outside unsupervised, we highly recommend choosing a unit with a roof. If the sun is too hot, or a sudden downpour starts while your pet is outside, they should have a place to go to get away from the elements.
While outdoor kennels should provide a safe place for your dog to play outside, they should not take the place of a loving, indoor home with their family. When you can see that your dog has had enough of the outdoors, please allow them to come inside for some love and attention.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!