Top 6 Best Retractable Dog Leashes in 2020
- Our Top 6 List
- 1. Flexi Neon Leash 16ft Retractable Dog Leash
- 2. Flexi Giant Tape Leash for Large Dogs
- 3. TaoTronics Retractable Dog Leash
- 4. Urpower Retractable Nylon Dog Leash for Large Breeds
- 5. Hertzko Heavy Duty Dog Leash
- 6. 3-in-1 Retractable Dog Leash (With LED Light + Bag Dispenser)
- Flexi Neon Retractable Dog Leash
- Buying Guide
We all love to take our dogs outside so they can get some exercise, enjoy the weather, and interact with other dogs. However, they face many dangers outside such as wild animals, cars, and unexpected surprises. A great way to keep your dog safe is to get a retractable leash.
But it’s more than just a way to have some control since it also allows your dog to move to a greater distance. The leash can extend on its own to a distance much greater than a normal leash, and without being clunky.
Here are the top retractable leashes this year!
Our Top 6 List
Last update on 2020-11-25 at 19:17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This one is our favorite as it works great if you need to walk your dog during the late hours. Due to its neon colors, drivers and others can easily see your dog at all times of the day. This gives you the advantage of keeping your dog safe while making the leash easy to find in your house. It has a button to lock the leash when necessary and to give your dog some freedom with a 16-foot reach.
This leash also provides other benefits that make it worth your money.
- 16-foot cord so that you can give your dog space to walk.
- Lightweight leash to make it easy for you to carry.
- Multiple sizes for dogs of different weights.
This leash works well for large dogs that love to run around. Many dogs try to run as quickly as they can in some direction but then the leash stops them abruptly. However, this one gives your dog 26 feet of freedom so they can move quite freely and enjoy some exercise.
- A soft grip so that your hand doesn’t get tired while holding it.
- The lock button provides allows you to lock the leash without holding the button down.
- Smooth pull and release of the leash to make it easier to handle.
This leash sticks out as one of the cheaper options on this list. Not only is it light and easy to carry but you get a bone-shaped carrier attached to it. This allows you to carry bathroom bags so that you have easy access to them whenever your dog has to go.
- Allowing dogs of all sizes to use this without fear of it breaking.
- Includes plastic bags so you don’t need to initially buy any.
- Easy to grip and to reach the lock button with your thumb.
Urpower stands out through its innovative design. Compared to other leashes, this one provides a rope mouth that handles 360 degrees. This ensures that your leash never gets tangled, which could lead to issues if you ever needed to quickly retract it.
On top of being at an affordable price, this one provides a comfortable handle for you so that your hand doesn’t hurt as you walk your dog. You can easily go on longer walks since it prevents tangling and offers you comfort. This ensures that your dog can enjoy a long walk without you having to suffer.
- Locking button so that you can prevent your dog from running off without continually holding down the button.
- 16 feet of leash so that your dog can have some freedom.
- Two sizes so that small, medium and large dogs can enjoy this brand.
This leash stands out from the others through its size and durability. It includes a thicker leash to work with dogs up to 110 pounds. You won’t have to worry about the leash breaking if your dog runs or if the leash slips out of your hand.
- A handle that prevents slipping.
- A locking mechanism so that you can adjust the dog leash.
- Durable retracting device to keep it in top condition.
If you want a top notch dog leash that provides multiple functions, then you want to consider this one! Along with a bag dispenser to easily clean up, you have a flashlight mounted on top. This makes it perfect for walks at night.
To add to this, you also get a free roll of bags for your dog. Considering all the features, you can get this leash at a reasonable price while enjoying all the functions that give you additional convenience.
- Ensure that you always have a bag ready when your dog uses the bathroom.
- Easily spot things at night with the flashlight.
- Use the locking device if you don’t want your dog running ahead in the dark.
These leashes provide benefits that make walking a dog easier.
- Flexi Neon Leash: Keep your dog visible to cars.
- Flexi Giant Tape Leash: Provide extra space for your dog to run.
- TaoTronics Retractable Dog Leash: Easy to access bags and different sized leashes.
- URPOWER Upgraded Nylon Leash: Features that prevent tangling.
- Hertzko Heavy Duty Dog Leash: A difficult to break leash.
- 3 in 1 Retractable Dog Leash: Has multiple features for late evening walks.
We recommend the Flexi Neon Leash. It has all the necessary features of leashes while making you and your dog easy to spot at all times of the day. Safety remains an important part of walking dogs, so choose this one if you agree!
You may not know what key features to look out for when it comes to retractable dog leashes. While some leashes stick out as convenient, you need one that will keep your dog safe. After all, leashes exist to protect dogs, so don’t focus too much on conveniences.
Due to this major purpose, you should make sure that your leash has these features:
- Increased visibility
- Locking mechanism
- High quality
- Weight restrictions
When you use a leash on your dog, you allow them to remain close to you so that you can keep them safe. However, you need to make sure that a leash keeps your dog visible as well to drivers and other people. This is why so many leashes come in neon or bright colors: it sticks out so that people can easily see it.
Avoid colors that blend in with surroundings. You want your leash, including the handle, to have a bright color. This way, if your dog runs unexpectedly, you increase the odds of a car seeing and avoiding your dog.
Going off of safety, you need to make sure that the leash provides a way for you to lock it in place. While most leashes allow you to extend over one dozen feet, you may need to lock it so that your dog can only go a few feet away from you. This is to keep them safe from unexpected hazards.
Preferably, the leash should have a button on top that your thumb can easily access. While some may have a switch to lock it into place without holding the button, this feature isn’t necessary. Just make sure that it does lock when needed.
You want a high quality leash that will stay in good condition. After all, if a leash can break from dropping, then you’re in trouble. Dogs may act up and the leash may slip from your hands, so it’s important to have a high quality leash that doesn’t easily break.
This includes the rope itself. Make sure you have a thick rope that won’t easily rip or break. After all, if your dog tugs, you don’t want the rope to snap or you could face a serious problem.
Each leash has different weights that it can handle. While this may not matter for a dog under 10 pounds, you do need to consider how much a leash can handle. How much does your dog weigh? If your dog weighs over 50 pounds, then you especially need to take time to find a proper leash.
Look at leash descriptions so you can see if your dog fits within the restrictions. If not, then don’t get this leash. They are designed to only resist so much force, so you risk potential damages or the leash breaking if you don’t follow these guidelines.
If you’re new to using leashes, here are a few points to keep in mind.
- Have a metal hook so that the leash can attach and detach from your dog’s collar as needed.
- Check to see that your hand fits comfortably around the leash’s handle to avoid strain.
- Test the re-tractability of the leash. Make sure that it smoothly extends to avoid injuries.
- Be careful of objects since the leash can get stuck behind things such as poles or mailboxes.
While you want to have convenient features for your dog leash, make sure that you have the necessary ones first. These will help to keep your dog safe while allowing your furry friend to have as much fun outside as possible.
As you put care into finding a proper dog leash, you can keep your dog away from more risks. Keep their safety in mind and provide them with a leash that focuses on safety. As you do so, you will find the right leash for your dog and not have to worry about various dangers.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!