The best Dog Lift & Support Harnesses in 2020
- Our Top List
- 1. Ruffwear Web Master Harness
- 2. SGT Knots Sheepskin Support Harness for Dogs
- 3. Labra Veterinarian Approved Dog Sling Lift
- 4. PetSafe Solvit CareLift
- 5. Fur E. Frenz Lift Harness Sling
- 6. Vet Approved Dog Lift Support
- Verdict & Review
- Ruffwear Support Dog Harness
- Buying Guide
No one wants to see their dog get older and have trouble getting around like they used to. A dog support harness is one easy way you can help your furry friend walk around with less pain. These harnesses come in several styles and sizes, and you want to make sure you pick out a good fit for your dog’s size and specific needs.
We’ve reviewed six high-quality dog lift and support harnesses below, and you can use these reviews to compare them side by side to see which one will work best for your location. We’ve also included a short buyer’s guide that you can use to compare the harness and see what important points you want to keep in mind when you shop.
Our Top List
Last update on 2020-05-31 at 14:44 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Ruffwear Web Master Harness
This harness comes in four colors and five different sizes that allows you to customize your choice based on your dog. It has a padded and reinforced handle that allows you to quickly and easily lift and maneuver your dog around. There are five adjustment points to ensure you get a comfortable fit, and the harness comes padded all around for your dog’s comfort.
- Adjustable – Five points
- Material – Polyester and neoprene
- Safety Features – Reflective trim
- Sizes – Five from extra small to extra large
- Has foam padded straps for maximum comfort
- Available in four colors
- V-ring for harness or leash attachment
- Comes with a padded handle
- Buckles can be difficult to operate
2. SGT Knots Sheepskin Support Harness for Dogs
Available in two sizes, this soft sheepskin sling takes the stress off your dog’s hips. It comes with a heavy-duty lifting strap and handles, and it’s very resistant to moisture or chafing. You can wash it quickly and easily in the washing machine between uses to keep it soft and clean for your dog.
- Adjustable – Handles are adjustable
- Material – Sheepskin-type fabric with nylon straps
- Safety Features – Durable handles
- Sizes – Medium and large
- Very easy to use on you dog
- Can toss it into the washer to clean it
- Nylon handles are durable
- Very soft and breathable
- May be too wide for smaller breeds
- Not suitable for small dogs
3. Labra Veterinarian Approved Dog Sling Lift
This harness comes with a nylon fabric and a soft fleece lining that makes it comfortable for your dog to use. The carrying straps are easy to adjust to your preferred height. This sling is wide enough to support your dog’s back and hips to prevent pain upon walking. It has a very user-friendly and simple design.
- Adjustable – Yes, the straps adjust
- Material – Nylon with fleece lining
- Safety Features – N/A
- Sizes – Medium and extra large
- Very quick and easy to put on your dog
- Straps adjust to your preferred standing height
- Wide band supports your dog’s hips and back
- Fleece lining is comfortable
- Not suited for smaller dogs
- No way to strap your dog in for a secure fit
4. PetSafe Solvit CareLift
Your dog gets full body support each time you put this harness on. It loops around their hips and back end, but it also has a portion that straps around their chest. There are several adjustment points, padded straps, and two handles on two points of the harness. The breathable neoprene and mesh material allows for great airflow, and you can put it into your washing machine to clean it.
- Adjustable – Yes, multiple points
- Material – Neoprene and mesh
- Safety Features – Secure buckles
- Sizes – Small, medium, and large
- Gives you dog full support from their chest to their hips
- Has multiple adjustment points
- Comes with two handles
- Breathable and soft fabric with padding
- Can be complication to put on and take off
- Leg attachment buckles are plastic
5. Fur E. Frenz Lift Harness Sling
This wide harness supports your dog’s chest and hips while keeping their spine in alignment. The carrying handles are adjustable to your height preferences, and it fits large and extra large dog breeds without a problem. You can wash it in your washing machine to clean it, and it comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Adjustable – Yes, the straps adjust
- Material – Neoprene with padding
- Safety Features – N/A
- Sizes – Large and extra large
- Comes with a wide support area
- Can adjust the strap to your height
- Easy to keep clean between uses
- Keeps the dog’s spine straight
- Can’t strap your dog into the harness
- Velcro gives when you help your dog up
6. Vet Approved Dog Lift Support
This harness is good for larger breeds with deep chests, and it comes in three color schemes that make it easy to see against your dog. The stretchy nylon and mesh material is breathable, and the top of the harness velcros closed once you get it on your dog. The fleece lining helps to protect your dog against chafing or sores.
- Adjustable – No
- Material – Nylon and mesh
- Safety Features – Velcro closure
- Sizes – Large and extra large
- Very easy to fit to your dog
- The handle is padded
- Comes with a slightly wider design
- Has a satisfaction guarantee
- Only uses velcro to secure the sling
- Can’t adjust the straps
Our top pick is the Ruffwear harness because it gives you several different size options that allow you to fit the harness to your dog’s frame. The reinforced and padded handles allow you to get a firm grip on your dog to give them the support they need to walk over different terrains.
We liked that the polyester and neoprene fabric is breathable without sacrificing durability, and the harness came designed for our dog’s maximum comfort. Finally, the adjustment points ensured we could get a secure fit for our dogs each time we put the harness on them.
If you’ve never bought a dog lift and support harness before, it can quickly get overwhelming when you start to shop around. This buyer’s guide will outline the important buying criteria you want to keep in mind when you start looking at different harnesses. This way, you’ll know how to choose a harness that works wonderfully for your dog.
Who Should Buy a Dog Lift and Support Harness?
A dog lift harness is a type of sling that you use to help your dog get up and down or walk if they suffer from health problems like hip dysplasia, degenerative disc disease, arthritis, or they suffered an injury. You support the majority if your dog’s weight through a strap, and it helps your dog walk without feeling as much pain.
Many pet parents choose to use these harnesses to help their pets climb up and down stairs, posture to go to the bathroom, get up from a prone position, or get in and out of the car. It can take a few days for your dog to adjust to using the harness, but they’ll be able to move more freely with it on.
Picking a Lift Harness Type
Now that you know why people use these harnesses with their dogs, we’ll outline the different lift harness types. The type you end up buying will depend on where on your dog’s body they’re experiencing the pain. The three main types of lift harnesses include:
Front support harnesses are very popular for large breed dogs who have arthritis in their shoulders or for small breeds that have spinal issues. These harnesses look a lot like traditional walking harnesses, and they usually come with a stop for a leash to clip to with a handle to help carry your dog.
Big dogs can develop chronic hip issues while small dogs develop spinal issues that could cause their back legs not to function as they should. These support slings can loop around your dog’s waist and back legs to provide additional support. You support your dog with a handle.
Dogs that are just starting to develop arthritis may need additional support to get up and down, and this is where this harness type comes in. These harnesses usually loop around your dog’s midsection, and you hold onto the harness and pull up to support them until they stand.
Harness Buying Considerations
It’s important to pick a breathable and durable fabric that isn’t going to get too hot when your dog wears it. Neoprene and mesh are two popular mixes that you’ll find in a lot of harnesses. Also, make sure there is good padding on any straps to prevent pinching your dog.
You want your harness to fit snugly to your dog, so it doesn’t slide around when you help your dog up. Ideally, it should have at least one or two adjustment points that help you loosen or tighten the harness to your dog’s frame, and you want to be able to adjust the handles.
Ease of Use
Whatever harness you choose, you want it to be easy to get on your dog, adjust to a comfortable fit, and remove again when it’s time to take it off. Double-check how the harness attaches to your dog, and make sure that your dog will tolerate it. Buckles, clips, and velcro are all common closures for these harnesses.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!