The Best Dog Leashes in 2021
- Our Top List
- 1. TUG Heavy Duty Retractable Dog Leash
- 2. Primal Pet Gear Leash
- 3. SparklyPets Heavy Duty Bungee Leash with Anti-Pull
- 4. Baapet Leash with Padded Handle
- 5. Paw Lifestyles Heavy Duty Dog Leash
- 6. U-Pick Double Leash with 360° Swivel & No Tangle
- Verdict & Review
- TUG Heavy Duty Retractable Dog Leash
- Buying Guide
We love taking our favorite furry pals out for a walk, almost as much as they love getting outside for some fresh air. You may be less enthusiastic about taking your dog for a walk if you have to use a leash that isn’t well made or one past its prime. If you’re shopping for a new one, don’t miss this top list!
We’ve reviewed quite a few leashes this year and have narrowed them down to six excellent choices that are sure to make your dog wag with joy!
Our Top List
[amazon box=”B078SLM45M,B01L4TERZY,B074DZZQ11,B078MYFT8D,B01LZJDTQY,B07542MLNZ” template=”table” numbering=”true”]
1. TUG Heavy Duty Retractable Dog Leash
[amazon fields=”B078SLM45M” value=”button” title=”View on Amazon”]
This retractable leash comes in three sizes: small for dogs under 35 pounds, medium for dogs under 55 pounds, and large for dogs under 110 pounds. It offers a simple, stylish look with a handle that’s perfectly shaped to fit your hand, which makes those long walks much more comfortable. The patented tangle-free design makes it easy for you to control your dog from any angle and keeps the leash from locking up when you need to retract it.
- 16-foot tape leash
- Easy on and off locking feature
- Ergonomic anti-slip handle
- Components and design are strong and durable enough to withstand frequent retraction, as well as provide the strength you need when your dog pulls
2. Primal Pet Gear Leash
[amazon fields=”B01L4TERZY” value=”button” title=”View on Amazon”]
This unique design offers two handles, one at the end of the six-foot leash and another just one foot from the clip. The longer leash is excellent for long walks, while the shorter option keeps your pup safe in busy areas or potentially hazardous situations like busy sidewalks or crowded vet offices. At this time, it’s is only offered in one size, which is best suited for medium to large dogs.
- Two black, neoprene-coated handles keep your dog under control and your hands comfortable
- Upgraded thumb-release clip that holds up better than previous versions of this leash
- Made from high-grade nylon webbing
- Reflective stitching makes you and your pup more visible at night
- D-Ring near end handle to attach keys or waste clean-up bags
- One-year replacement warranty makes this a risk-free purchase
3. SparklyPets Heavy Duty Bungee Leash with Anti-Pull
[amazon fields=”B074DZZQ11″ value=”button” title=”View on Amazon”]
This leash features a thick rope design. Thanks to the tough nylon braiding, your dog won’t immediately chew right through it if they mistake it for one of their toys. This product also features a well-made metal hook, leather joints, and a heavy elastic bungee section, which makes it a great choice for pups that aren’t so well-behaved on the leash.
- Nylon braiding ensures chew resistance
- Your dog will have plenty of room to walk with the 43.3″ nylon leash and will gain an extra 29.5″ when the detachable bungee section is attached and fully extended
- Elastic bungee reduces the risk of injury for you and your dog when they unexpectedly pull too hard
- Four stylish color options to choose from
- Includes a bag for you to store this leash system when you’re not using it
- Five-year warranty means that you can get your money back if you don’t love this leash
4. Baapet Leash with Padded Handle
[amazon fields=”B078MYFT8D” value=”button” title=”View on Amazon”]
This five-foot, heavy-duty leash is made with 1/2 inch rock climbing rope and features a durable clip, making it an excellent choice for big dogs who tend to pull even when they don’t mean to. The padded handle makes it much more comfortable on extended walks and protects your hand from rope burns if your dog suddenly tries to bolt. Pet owners will love how much control this leash gives them over their extra-large pet pals.
- Made with highly reflective threads woven into the material as a safety feature for those who like to walk their dogs at night
- 13″ foam-padded handle provides added comfort and protection for owners
- 360-degree tangle-free swivel clip
- Comes in five colors so you can choose the one that best suits your style
5. Paw Lifestyles Heavy Duty Dog Leash
[amazon fields=”B01LZJDTQY” value=”button” title=”View on Amazon”]
This seven-foot leash features two handles, one at the end of the seven-foot length to give your dog room to explore, and the other about one foot from the clip for more control when you need it. The sturdy nylon webbing is nearly two times thicker than standard leashes, making it strong enough to stand up to the pulling strength of large dogs, but light-weight enough to use with medium-sized pups as well.
- Dual handles offer maximum control
- Neoprene-padded handles provide ultimate comfort for those long walks
- Reflective threads make your dog more visible on evening walks
- 2″ heavy-duty clip
- The addition of a D-ring allows you to attach training equipment, a waste clean-up bag holder, or even car keys to free your hands for maximum control of your pet
- 100% money-back guarantee means that you can return it for any reason, making this leash a risk-free investment
6. U-Pick Double Leash with 360° Swivel & No Tangle
[amazon fields=”B07542MLNZ” value=”button” title=”View on Amazon”]
This leash provides you with the ability to walk two dogs simultaneously while maintaining control over both with one hand. The bungee design absorbs the shock of quick movements, which is especially important when walking two pets together, and the neoprene-coated handle prevents rope burns on your hands due when your dogs pull too much.
- 360-degree tangle-free swivel leash attachment keeps your dogs from getting tangled together as they walk
- Padded handle keeps your hand comfortable and safe from injuries that can occur when your dogs pull too hard
- Reflective stitching in both leashes makes your pets visible for added safety while walking at night
- Comes with a waste bag holder and training clicker
Every one of the leashes that we reviewed has some excellent features, but the one we love the most is the Tug 360° leash. It offers the most variety when it comes to the size of the leash, which makes it suitable for all breeds, and the 16-foot retractable tape makes it the most versatile.
When it’s fully extended, your canine companion can have lots of space to roam and explore, you can keep them close to you when you walk in crowded areas, or any length in between; the possibilities are endless with this model. If you’re looking for one leash that can give you the control you need for training as well as the freedom to let your pup explore, this is the one for you.
When you’re shopping for a new leash for your furry friend, there are a number of things that can influence your decision-making process.
What is the main purpose of this leash?
If you’re looking for a leash that’s great for training your new puppy or for controlling a pooch that likes to try to lead the walk, you’ll probably want a leash that gives you more control over their movement. Shorter leads, retractable leads, or ones that feature multiple handles work best in this situation. If you want to train your dog to stop pulling, use a no-pull harness designed for that purpose.
On the other hand, if you’re looking to upgrade or replace a leash for your already well-trained dog, you may be more concerned with finding a long leash that allows your pup the freedom that they have earned by walking nicely. Seven-foot leads (or longer, if you can find them) or retractable leads with a long line provide the most space between pets and owners.
If you do choose a retractable leash, be sure to monitor your dog closely as you both get used to the extra lead length. Even the most well-behaved pups can sometimes try to dart after wildlife, which could lead to a dangerous situation for both of you if you aren’t paying the utmost attention to their movements.
For the dark, in particular in the Winter time and it’s low light conditions, we recommend using an LED collar or a light-up harness for dogs. This makes sure that you and your dog are easy to spot by vehicles.
Which material should I choose?
Leashes come in a variety of materials, including nylon, chain, and leather. Out of the three, we find nylon leads to be the most practical and leather leashes the most beautiful. They are much more weather-resistant and cost-effective when compared with leather leads, and is much less cumbersome for owners and pets alike in comparison to metal leads.
The one downfall to nylon leashes is that they can cause rope burns if your dog jerks the lead suddenly, so you’ll want to look for safety features such as padded handles or shock-absorbing bungee to protect your hands. You’ll also want to pay attention to the craftsmanship of the lead you’re considering; a thin, poorly-stitched nylon lead will not last very long and may break while walking a large, muscular dog.
How thick should my dog’s leash be?
The thickness of your dog’s leash depends on the size of your dog. You don’t want to weigh your pretty Pomeranian down with a leash that’s thicker than their neck, and you definitely don’t want to try walking your Saint Bernard with a leash that’s only as big around as your pinky.
What else should I consider before purchasing a new leash?
After you decide what type of leash you want, you should take note of the safety features between brands. You’ll want to make sure that it’s well-made and durable; beyond that, you’ll need to think about your pooch and prioritize safety features based on their individual needs.
If you have a pup that pulls a lot, you may want your leash to have a bungee section. This flexibility will help to absorb some of the shock of sudden movements, which will keep both you and your pet safe.
If your dog is a chewer and tends to go after their leash, you’ll want one that’s made of a durable material like rock climbing rope, heavy-duty braided nylon, or double-strength nylon webbing rather than just the standard lead material.
If you and your canine companion enjoy taking evening strolls through the neighborhood, you may want to consider purchasing a leash with reflective thread so they will be more visible to traffic or other walkers.
Your dog isn’t the only one who should enjoy their walk. If you take your furry friend for long walks and often find your hand tired and aching, or if your dog strains on the leash and causes rope burns, you’ll want to take special notice to the construction of the handle. Many nylon leads offer neoprene padding, while retractable leads often feature ergonomically-designed plastic handles for ultimate comfort during those lengthy outdoor excursions.
We are the Pet Dog Pals, a group of avid pet owners, bloggers, product testers, and writers for all your canine needs! We own a collective 16 dogs and 21 cats to help us test and review pet products. Our top lists and tips come from experience to help you be the best dog owner you can be!